Advertising In Arabic Way
The Muslim world has unusual prohibitions in advertising. This is due to the national and religious peculiarities of Islamic countries. Any advertising, including logos, should be forcibly adapted to local cultural values and the Arabic language. In order to do this you must know what various animals symbolize, what symbols indicate and how those or other subjects can be interpreted in Islamic countries.
For example, dogs are considered to be “dirty animals”, so you can rarely see them in advertising. Fish symbolizes Christianity, a crow – death, and a chameleon – hypocrisy.
Any manifestations of supernatural forces (witches, wizards, vampires, aliens) can be interpreted as equating to God, and therefore their demonstration is prohibited. In addition, the words “create” and “greatest” should be used really cautiously as they are also associated with God.
Drugs, alcohol (even an empty glass of champagne) can not be used in advertising. The only exception – social advertising. Homosexuality and any hints at a non-traditional sexual orientation are also under the strict prohibition.
Any forms of crosses are considered as violations. Therefore the organization “Red Cross” is called “Red Crescent” here.
In the most conservative Asian countries it is prohibited to show open eyes in the advertisement. Thus advertising agencies have to be very imaginative when showing people. The most popular solutions of the problem are:
– Wear glasses
– Close eyes with pleasure
Nudity is prohibited in any form. Islamic culture is very conservative. Skin can be shown only on face, hands and feet.
In order to protect their citizens from the depraved West, censors had to make extreme efforts. That’s when Photoshop and other available means like a black marker, paper and glue come into the play.
Gisele Bundchen acquired a modest white shirt.
Particular attention is paid to advertising of films. It has to be retouched in order to comply with strict cultural expectations. Legs, chest and even shoulders must be covered. Compare before and after.
Parody to muslim advertisements:
To write the name of a product in the Arabic script keeping at least some hint at the world-famous style of the brand is very difficult.
These pictures were taken in some malls of the UAE. By law of most Arabic countries an Arabic name must go first. But in this case both, the East and the West are content. As the West reads from left to right and the East reads from right to left. So everybody reads the “right” sign first.
The Body Shop
The Coffee Bean
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- Bad Girl Mugshots From Between The 1940s And 1960s Views today: 123,498 - Photography
- These Intimate NSFW Fashion Dolls Are Handcrafted To Bare All Views today: 1,376 - Design
- NASA Just Released Travel Posters For Our New Sister Solar System, And They’re Cool As Hell Views today: 1,302 - Inspirations
- Creative Father Puts His 3 Adorable Daughters Into Funny, Eclectic Photo Manipulations Views today: 1,122 - Photography
- Stunning Photos Of Haile Selassie I, The Emperor Of Ethiopia Views today: 988 - Photography
- Strange, Seductive And Surreal Erotic Photo Montages From 1920-30’s Vienna Views today: 974 - Photography
- Beautiful Photos Of Cuba In 1954 That Looks Like A Country Of Freedom Views today: 946 - Travel
- The Nightmare That Was ‘His & Her’ Fashion Views today: 874 - Inspirations
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London Views today: 865 - Inspirations
- Animals That Look Like They’re About To Drop The Hottest Albums Ever Views today: 844 - Animals
- Meet The Tree That Actually Bleeds When It’s Sliced Open Views today: 811 - Inspirations
- A Shelter Has Been Trying To Find A Home For This Cat For Over A Year Views today: 719 - Animals
- This New Hair Dye Turns Humans Into Chameleons Views today: 668 - Technology
- California’s Failed Utopia Views today: 650 - Travel
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager Views today: 622 - Photography
- Mysterious Abandoned Village On Shengshan Island In China Being Overtaken By Nature Views today: 500 - Travel
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master Views today: 445 - Inspirations
- Paper Models Of The Most Controversial Buildings Erected Behind The Iron Curtain Views today: 394 - Architecture
- Bench To Bedroom: Urban Furniture Turned Homeless Shelters Views today: 386 - Design
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images Views today: 377 - Photography