Advertising In Arabic Way
Like DYT on FB:
The Muslim world has unusual prohibitions in advertising. This is due to the national and religious peculiarities of Islamic countries. Any advertising, including logos, should be forcibly adapted to local cultural values and the Arabic language. In order to do this you must know what various animals symbolize, what symbols indicate and how those or other subjects can be interpreted in Islamic countries.
For example, dogs are considered to be “dirty animals”, so you can rarely see them in advertising. Fish symbolizes Christianity, a crow – death, and a chameleon – hypocrisy.
Any manifestations of supernatural forces (witches, wizards, vampires, aliens) can be interpreted as equating to God, and therefore their demonstration is prohibited. In addition, the words “create” and “greatest” should be used really cautiously as they are also associated with God.
Drugs, alcohol (even an empty glass of champagne) can not be used in advertising. The only exception – social advertising. Homosexuality and any hints at a non-traditional sexual orientation are also under the strict prohibition.
Any forms of crosses are considered as violations. Therefore the organization “Red Cross” is called “Red Crescent” here.
In the most conservative Asian countries it is prohibited to show open eyes in the advertisement. Thus advertising agencies have to be very imaginative when showing people. The most popular solutions of the problem are:
– Wear glasses
– Close eyes with pleasure
Nudity is prohibited in any form. Islamic culture is very conservative. Skin can be shown only on face, hands and feet.
In order to protect their citizens from the depraved West, censors had to make extreme efforts. That’s when Photoshop and other available means like a black marker, paper and glue come into the play.
Gisele Bundchen acquired a modest white shirt.
Particular attention is paid to advertising of films. It has to be retouched in order to comply with strict cultural expectations. Legs, chest and even shoulders must be covered. Compare before and after.
Parody to muslim advertisements:
To write the name of a product in the Arabic script keeping at least some hint at the world-famous style of the brand is very difficult.
These pictures were taken in some malls of the UAE. By law of most Arabic countries an Arabic name must go first. But in this case both, the East and the West are content. As the West reads from left to right and the East reads from right to left. So everybody reads the “right” sign first.
The Body Shop
The Coffee Bean
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- The Oddest Subway Station In China
- The Day The Earth Stood Still: The Art of Jaroslaw Marcinek
- Sensual And NSFW Female Portraits By Georgy Chernyadyev
- Shocking Photographs Of People Lying In 7 Days Worth Of Their Trash
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Georgia Couple Convert Old Blue Bird School Bus Into A Cozy Home On Wheels
- 2017 National Geographic Travel Photographer Of The Year – People
- Illustrator Reimagines Famous Fast Food Brands As Manga-Style Characters
- German Artist Sophia Vogel Photographs Real People Doing Everyday Things Without Clothes
- Classic Pin-Up Girls Before And After Editing: The Real Women Behind Those Gil Elvgren’s Incredible Paintings
- Curious Fox Strikes Up Unlikely Friendship With Polish Photographer
- Chicago From Above: Stunning Drone Photography By Razvan Sera
- Escape Into The Glass Rivers And Lakes Of These Beautiful Wood Tables
- A Photographer Took Glorious Colour Photographs Of London In Early 1970s
- A Look Back At Cannes Film Festival
- Laguna Beach From Above – Spectacular Drone Photography By Mike Soulopulos
- This Is Your Brain On Drugs: The Anti-Addiction Posters By Meaghan Li
- I Can See Your Underpants: Photorealistic And Sensitive NSFW Paintings By John C. Kacere
- 70th Anniversary Citroen H Van
- George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’ Illustrated By Ralph Steadman
- Meet The Solar Egg, A Giant Golden Sauna Built In Luossabacken, Sweden
- Portuguese Artist Luisa Azevedo Creates Dreamy And Surreal Photo Manipulation
- World’s Largest Panorama TITANIC Gives Insight To A Tragic Moment 105 Years Ago
- There’s A Species Of Wild Cats Where The Adults Look Like Kittens Their Entire Lives
- Transparent Heart-Stopping Glass Sky Slide Starts Trial Runs In North China
- Stunning Photos Of The Millions Of Fireflies Flutter In Mexican Forest
- Room With A Mountain View In Downtown Of Shanghai
- Graphic Designer Turns Transit Networks Around The World Into Minimalist Maps
- Obama’s Photographer Trails ‘House of Cards’ President Frank Underwood
- Pilot Takes Amazing Photos From His Cockpit, And They Will Take Your Breath Away
- Brilliant Ball-Point Pen Art By Alfredo Chamal
- A Small Town In Siberia Keeps It’s Own Secrets At Night In Surreal Photographs By Vlad Tretiak
- Everyday Is Hump Day For The Photographer Fedor Shmidt
- Photographer Michael Massaia Captures Haunting Images Of Central Park When No One Is Around
- This Is What Iranian Women Looked Like In The 1970s
- Someone Uploaded An Amazing Collection Of Hi-Res, Textless Movie Posters
- It’s Not Milk: Ivan Alifan’s Surreal And Seductive Paintings
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London
- A Neural Network Invented A Bunch Of New Paint Colors That Are Hilariously Wrong
- Korean Barista Creates Impressive Art On Your Coffee Foam
- Anonymous Hero Is ‘Protecting’ Graffiti Penises By Painting Condoms Over Them
- Danish Retailer Vipp Has Created A “Battery-Charging Stations For Humans”
- Sex Machines: Photographs and Interviews By Timothy Archibald
- Plus-Size Model Ashley Graham Poses Nude For ‘V’ Magazine’s NSFW Summer Issue
- Let The Children Play: Remarkable Photos Of Lovely Kids By Svetlana Kvashina