Advertising In Arabic Way
Like DYT on FB:
The Muslim world has unusual prohibitions in advertising. This is due to the national and religious peculiarities of Islamic countries. Any advertising, including logos, should be forcibly adapted to local cultural values and the Arabic language. In order to do this you must know what various animals symbolize, what symbols indicate and how those or other subjects can be interpreted in Islamic countries.
For example, dogs are considered to be “dirty animals”, so you can rarely see them in advertising. Fish symbolizes Christianity, a crow – death, and a chameleon – hypocrisy.
Any manifestations of supernatural forces (witches, wizards, vampires, aliens) can be interpreted as equating to God, and therefore their demonstration is prohibited. In addition, the words “create” and “greatest” should be used really cautiously as they are also associated with God.
Drugs, alcohol (even an empty glass of champagne) can not be used in advertising. The only exception – social advertising. Homosexuality and any hints at a non-traditional sexual orientation are also under the strict prohibition.
Any forms of crosses are considered as violations. Therefore the organization “Red Cross” is called “Red Crescent” here.
In the most conservative Asian countries it is prohibited to show open eyes in the advertisement. Thus advertising agencies have to be very imaginative when showing people. The most popular solutions of the problem are:
– Wear glasses
– Close eyes with pleasure
Nudity is prohibited in any form. Islamic culture is very conservative. Skin can be shown only on face, hands and feet.
In order to protect their citizens from the depraved West, censors had to make extreme efforts. That’s when Photoshop and other available means like a black marker, paper and glue come into the play.
Gisele Bundchen acquired a modest white shirt.
Particular attention is paid to advertising of films. It has to be retouched in order to comply with strict cultural expectations. Legs, chest and even shoulders must be covered. Compare before and after.
Parody to muslim advertisements:
To write the name of a product in the Arabic script keeping at least some hint at the world-famous style of the brand is very difficult.
These pictures were taken in some malls of the UAE. By law of most Arabic countries an Arabic name must go first. But in this case both, the East and the West are content. As the West reads from left to right and the East reads from right to left. So everybody reads the “right” sign first.
The Body Shop
The Coffee Bean
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Impressive Celebrity Portraits By Bettina Rheims
- Photoshop Master Showed Why We Should Not Believe Photos In Social Networks
- Humorous Posters Of Graphic Design Puns That Will Make Designers Laugh
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Ukrainian Photographer Creates Powerful Photo To Overcome Anxiety, And Here’s How She Did It
- Probably, The Best Movie Posters From The Last 10 Years
- Japanese T-Shirt Uses Optical Illusion To Give Breasts To Even The Flat-Chested
- Nightmares, Melancholy And Phobias: NSFW Fine Art Photography By Diana Dihaze
- Dog Photographer Of The Year 2017 Winners
- These Amazing Drawings Appear To Jump Out Of The Page
- Syrian Artist Paints World Leaders As Refugees
- Surreal And Dreamy Photo Manipulations By Jackson Hall
- Honest Illustration Of The Contradictory Nature Of People And Society By Sako Asko
- Boxed In: Life Inside The “Coffin Cubicles” Of Hong Kong
- A Shoe Polish Brand Won Big At Cannes For One Of The Most Delightful Campaigns
- Denmark Will Have This Amazing New Observation Tower Next Year
- Chinese Student Designs Award-Winning Life Slide
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- 7 Playboy Playmates Re-Enact Their Iconic Covers
- The Story Of David Glasheen, A Real Life Robinson Crusoe
- Portuguese Street Artist Unveiled A Giant Rabbit Made Of Trash On The Streets Of Vila Nova De Gaia In Portugal
- The Supertrain Of 1979 Will Blow Your Mind
- This Wood Wine Box Packaging Can Be Reused As A Bird House
- Russian Craftsman Shapes Wooden Motor Tricycle
- An Architect Creates This Stunning Address Book Swimming Pool