Making a Zombie: A Step-by-Step Guide from the “Walking Dead” Makeup Team
Like DYT on FB:
1. The “Walking Dead” makeup team fits actor Kevin Galbraith with a bald cap and accentuate his high cheekbones to make them look sunken.
2. Next, Galbraith is fitted with rotten-looking, custom-made dentures that can fit under a prosthesis.
3. A custom-made, foam latex prosthesis extends from Galbraith’s forehead to his neck.
4. Makeup artists Kevin Wasner (far left) and Jake Garber glue on individual body wounds. “We had to do his entire upper body. It took 45 minutes,” Nicotero says. Zombie blood is a mixture of Karo syrup, red and yellow food coloring and caramel, plus a drop of detergent so it soaks through clothing.
5. Garber next fits the greasy, sparse zombie wig to the bald cap.
6. Zombies have no time to shave so Wasner adds some stubble and some disgusting dried blood around Galbraith’s mouth. “It’s black sludge in their veins,” says Nicotero.
7. The application of hand-painted white contact lenses is the final step of Galbraith’s transformation from working actor to frightening zombie. “The most inspiring part of what we’re doing is that you can have the same person sit in your chair 10 times and they won’t look like the same person when they walk out of the makeup trailer,” says Nicotero.
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Probably, The Best Movie Posters From The Last 10 Years
- A Shoe Polish Brand Won Big At Cannes For One Of The Most Delightful Campaigns
- Japanese T-Shirt Uses Optical Illusion To Give Breasts To Even The Flat-Chested
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Portuguese Street Artist Unveiled A Giant Rabbit Made Of Trash On The Streets Of Vila Nova De Gaia In Portugal
- The Supertrain Of 1979 Will Blow Your Mind
- Photoshop Master Showed Why We Should Not Believe Photos In Social Networks
- Boxed In: Life Inside The “Coffin Cubicles” Of Hong Kong
- An Architect Creates This Stunning Address Book Swimming Pool
- Impressive Celebrity Portraits By Bettina Rheims
- 7 Playboy Playmates Re-Enact Their Iconic Covers
- Humorous Posters Of Graphic Design Puns That Will Make Designers Laugh
- Donyale Luna – The First Black Supermodel, Whom History Forgot
- The Fantasy Coffins From Ghana
- The Alley Cats: Photographer Nayan Khanolkar Captures Leopards In The Middle Of Mumbai
- These Amazing Drawings Appear To Jump Out Of The Page
- Nightmares, Melancholy And Phobias: NSFW Fine Art Photography By Diana Dihaze
- Father Draws Cartoon Childhood For His Daughter
- Chinese Artist Uses Colorful Paper To Warn Of Danger Of Guns
- Ukrainian Artist Made A Mesmerizing Sculpture Of Giant Raindrop Resting On Man’s Face
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- Extreme X-Rays: Photographer Nick Veasey Takes You Inside The Insects
- Ukrainian Photographer Creates Powerful Photo To Overcome Anxiety, And Here’s How She Did It
- The Story Of David Glasheen, A Real Life Robinson Crusoe
- Landscape Mirrors: Surreal Photo Manipulations By Rigved Sathe