Making a Zombie: A Step-by-Step Guide from the “Walking Dead” Makeup Team
1. The “Walking Dead” makeup team fits actor Kevin Galbraith with a bald cap and accentuate his high cheekbones to make them look sunken.
2. Next, Galbraith is fitted with rotten-looking, custom-made dentures that can fit under a prosthesis.
3. A custom-made, foam latex prosthesis extends from Galbraith’s forehead to his neck.
4. Makeup artists Kevin Wasner (far left) and Jake Garber glue on individual body wounds. “We had to do his entire upper body. It took 45 minutes,” Nicotero says. Zombie blood is a mixture of Karo syrup, red and yellow food coloring and caramel, plus a drop of detergent so it soaks through clothing.
5. Garber next fits the greasy, sparse zombie wig to the bald cap.
6. Zombies have no time to shave so Wasner adds some stubble and some disgusting dried blood around Galbraith’s mouth. “It’s black sludge in their veins,” says Nicotero.
7. The application of hand-painted white contact lenses is the final step of Galbraith’s transformation from working actor to frightening zombie. “The most inspiring part of what we’re doing is that you can have the same person sit in your chair 10 times and they won’t look like the same person when they walk out of the makeup trailer,” says Nicotero.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
- The White House’s Pete Souza Has Shot Nearly 2M Photos Of Obama, Here Some Of His Favorites Views today: 4,529 - Photography
- Truthful Images That Show Why Holocaust Memorial Selfies Are So Disrespectful Views today: 1,622 - Photography
- Artist Playfully Reimagines Classic Art Paintings As LEGO People Views today: 1,558 - Inspirations
- Magical Drawings Put Women In Conversation With Their Inner Demons Views today: 1,428 - Inspirations
- Watch Inside Obama’s New Home Views today: 1,080 - Architecture
- Ed Gein Style Horror Jacket Is The Most Terrifying Jacket Ever Views today: 986 - Design
- Photographer Weronika Gęsicka Takes Corny American Photography And Manipulates It Into Something Surreal And Uncomfortable Views today: 768 - Inspirations
- Moscow vs New York: Visual Comparison Of Two Big Cities 45 Years Ago Views today: 759 - Travel
- Biting Illustrations That Uncover All Of The Human Essences In Modern World Views today: 679 - Inspirations
- This Woman And Her Cat Have Been On The Most Gorgeous Sailboat Adventure Since 2006 Views today: 507 - Travel
- 600-Year-Old Buddha Emerges From The Lake In China Views today: 501 - Travel
- This Dreadful Emptiness: Dark And Depressive Illustrations By Aron Wiesenfeld Views today: 454 - Inspirations
- These Sad Dogs Outside Shops Will Make You Cry Views today: 445 - Animals
- Photographer Balint Alovits Explores The Beauty Of Spiral Staircases In Budapest Views today: 440 - Architecture
- The Innovative Minimalist Earrings By The Designer Otis Jaxon Views today: 406 - Design