Named one of the “50 Best Inventions of 2011” by TIME Magazine.
AeroVironment is developing the Nano Air Vehicle (NAV) under a DARPA sponsored research contract to develop a new class of air vehicle systems capable of indoor and outdoor operation. Employing biological mimicry at an extremely small scale, this unconventional aircraft could someday provide new reconnaissance and surveillance capabilities in urban environments.
The Nano Hummingbird met all, and exceeded many, of the Phase II technical milestones set out by DARPA:
– Demonstrate precision hover flight.
– Demonstrate hover stability in a wind gust flight which required the aircraft to hover and tolerate a two-meter per second (five miles per hour) wind gust from the side, without drifting downwind more than one meter.
– Demonstrate a continuous hover endurance of eight minutes with no external power source.
– Fly and demonstrate controlled, transition flight from hover to 11 miles per hour fast forward flight and back to hover flight.
– Demonstrate flying from outdoors to indoors, and back outdoors through a normal-size doorway.
– Demonstrate flying indoors ‘heads-down’ where the pilot operates the aircraft only looking at the live video image stream from the aircraft, without looking at or hearing the aircraft directly.
– Fly the aircraft in hover and fast forward flight with bird-shaped body and bird-shaped wings.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
- There’s An Old Abandoned Theme Park Near Tokyo, And It’s Creepy As Hell Views today: 9,340 - Travel
- When You See Where This Hidden Staircase Leads You’re Going To Want One Views today: 2,583 - Design
- Biting Illustrations That Uncover All Of The Human Essences In Modern World Views today: 970 - Inspirations
- The White House’s Pete Souza Has Shot Nearly 2M Photos Of Obama, Here Some Of His Favorites Views today: 814 - Photography
- These Sad Dogs Outside Shops Will Make You Cry Views today: 707 - Animals
- Walking On Frozen Baikal, The Deepest And Oldest Lake On Earth To Capture Its Otherworldly Beauty Views today: 573 - Travel
- Honest Puns Inspired By CSS That Web Designers Can Relate To Views today: 559 - Inspirations
- Ed Gein Style Horror Jacket Is The Most Terrifying Jacket Ever Views today: 498 - Design
- Mysterious Double Exposure Photography By Christoffer Relander Views today: 489 - Photography
- An Artist Transforms The Shapes Of Animals Into Cubes To Makes Them Definitely Look Straight Out Of Minecraft Views today: 386 - Animals
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager Views today: 336 - Photography
- Bizarre Paintings Of Mecha Robots And Werewolves Attacking East European Peasants Of The Early 20th Century Views today: 329 - Inspirations
- Stunning Colorized Photos Of The Discovery Of The Tutankhamun’s Tomb In The 1920s Views today: 324 - Travel
- These Photographs Of Creepy Children Will Terrify You Views today: 308 - Photography
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images Views today: 286 - Photography