Named one of the “50 Best Inventions of 2011” by TIME Magazine.
AeroVironment is developing the Nano Air Vehicle (NAV) under a DARPA sponsored research contract to develop a new class of air vehicle systems capable of indoor and outdoor operation. Employing biological mimicry at an extremely small scale, this unconventional aircraft could someday provide new reconnaissance and surveillance capabilities in urban environments.
The Nano Hummingbird met all, and exceeded many, of the Phase II technical milestones set out by DARPA:
– Demonstrate precision hover flight.
– Demonstrate hover stability in a wind gust flight which required the aircraft to hover and tolerate a two-meter per second (five miles per hour) wind gust from the side, without drifting downwind more than one meter.
– Demonstrate a continuous hover endurance of eight minutes with no external power source.
– Fly and demonstrate controlled, transition flight from hover to 11 miles per hour fast forward flight and back to hover flight.
– Demonstrate flying from outdoors to indoors, and back outdoors through a normal-size doorway.
– Demonstrate flying indoors ‘heads-down’ where the pilot operates the aircraft only looking at the live video image stream from the aircraft, without looking at or hearing the aircraft directly.
– Fly the aircraft in hover and fast forward flight with bird-shaped body and bird-shaped wings.
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Cultural Torture: An Offensive And Ironic Guide To Pissing People Off In Their Own Countries
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Guy Discovers He Can Go Anywhere While Wearing A Hi-Vis Vest
- Welcome To Heimat: An Enchanted NSFW Trip Through Bavaria With Photographer Ellen Von Unwerth
- Bees Under The Macro Lens
- Two Spain-Based Photographers Playfully Interact With Geometry Of Architecture In These Images
- You Can Sleep In These Owl Cabins In France For Free, And Their Interior Is As Good As Exterior
- Glass Memorials That Contain The Ashes Of The Dead
- Woman Flawlessly Retakes Her Study Abroad Photos, 30 Years Later
- The Spectacular Winners Of The 10th iPhone Photography Awards
- Guy Paints Over Shit Graffiti And Makes It Legible
- “The World In Faces”: Photographer’s Incredible Portraits Of People Who Live In Some Of The Most Remote Corners Of The Earth
- Toilet Timer: The Anatomically Significant Sand Timer For Procrastinators
- More Than 4,000 Photographs From The D-Day Invasion Of Normandy Are Now Available Online
- Sensual And Dreamy NSFW Feminine Photography By Ilona Shevchishina
- McDonald’s Launches New Clothing Line
- City Perspectives: Breathtaking Photography Of Hong Kong ‘Anthills’ By Victor Cheng
- Photographer Kourtney Roy Makes Eerie Self-Portraits In Desolate Yet Dramatic Locations
- A Look Back At Playboy Bunny Girls
- Wonderful Photos of San Francisco’s SoMa District During the Late 1970s and Early 1980s
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- This Infinity Book Store Looks Like An Endless Tunnel Of Books
- “Geometric Variants”, An Optical Illusion Photography Project By Erika Zolli
- Creative Mom Paints On Skylight To Make Her Daughter Go To Kindergarten Class
- Sex Machines: Photographs and Interviews By Timothy Archibald