Named one of the “50 Best Inventions of 2011” by TIME Magazine.
AeroVironment is developing the Nano Air Vehicle (NAV) under a DARPA sponsored research contract to develop a new class of air vehicle systems capable of indoor and outdoor operation. Employing biological mimicry at an extremely small scale, this unconventional aircraft could someday provide new reconnaissance and surveillance capabilities in urban environments.
The Nano Hummingbird met all, and exceeded many, of the Phase II technical milestones set out by DARPA:
– Demonstrate precision hover flight.
– Demonstrate hover stability in a wind gust flight which required the aircraft to hover and tolerate a two-meter per second (five miles per hour) wind gust from the side, without drifting downwind more than one meter.
– Demonstrate a continuous hover endurance of eight minutes with no external power source.
– Fly and demonstrate controlled, transition flight from hover to 11 miles per hour fast forward flight and back to hover flight.
– Demonstrate flying from outdoors to indoors, and back outdoors through a normal-size doorway.
– Demonstrate flying indoors ‘heads-down’ where the pilot operates the aircraft only looking at the live video image stream from the aircraft, without looking at or hearing the aircraft directly.
– Fly the aircraft in hover and fast forward flight with bird-shaped body and bird-shaped wings.
Trending on Design You Trust:
- 80’s Young Fashion: Color Photos Of US Teen Girls During The 1980s
- 2017 Pirelli Calendar Celebrates the Natural Beauty Of Beloved Actresses
- Surreal Animal Hybrid Tattoos Look Like Quirky Sketchbook Drawings
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- Hot Spring Bath Opens For Japanese Macaques On Hokkaido
- French Farmers Are Magnifique In Racy 2017 Calendar
- Horrorscope: These Terrifying Zodiac Signs Are Way Too Creepy
- 62 Of The Best Photos Of The Supermoon 2016 From Around The World
- Oxford University Women’s Rugby Team Strip Off For Charity Calendar
- Photographer Nei Valente Creates An Urban Photo Series Of The NYC Newsstands
- Artist Unveils A Monumental Pen & Ink Drawing Nearly 3.5 Years In The Making
- NASA Has Compiled A List Of The Best Air-Cleaning Plants For Your Home
- Beautiful Otherworldly Artwork Of Cyril Rolando
- Artist Envisions Futuristic Fort-Like Homes Designed To Withstand Hurricanes
- Sleep In A Bookshelf With 5000 Books In Kyoto’s New Bookstore-Themed Hostel