Named one of the “50 Best Inventions of 2011” by TIME Magazine.
AeroVironment is developing the Nano Air Vehicle (NAV) under a DARPA sponsored research contract to develop a new class of air vehicle systems capable of indoor and outdoor operation. Employing biological mimicry at an extremely small scale, this unconventional aircraft could someday provide new reconnaissance and surveillance capabilities in urban environments.
The Nano Hummingbird met all, and exceeded many, of the Phase II technical milestones set out by DARPA:
– Demonstrate precision hover flight.
– Demonstrate hover stability in a wind gust flight which required the aircraft to hover and tolerate a two-meter per second (five miles per hour) wind gust from the side, without drifting downwind more than one meter.
– Demonstrate a continuous hover endurance of eight minutes with no external power source.
– Fly and demonstrate controlled, transition flight from hover to 11 miles per hour fast forward flight and back to hover flight.
– Demonstrate flying from outdoors to indoors, and back outdoors through a normal-size doorway.
– Demonstrate flying indoors ‘heads-down’ where the pilot operates the aircraft only looking at the live video image stream from the aircraft, without looking at or hearing the aircraft directly.
– Fly the aircraft in hover and fast forward flight with bird-shaped body and bird-shaped wings.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy Views today: 36,487 - Photography
- The Russia You’ll Never See On Postcards Through The Lens Of Photographer Alexander Petrosyan Views today: 26,760 - Photography
- American Artist Creates Creepy Trump Photo Collages Views today: 1,980 - Inspirations
- Russian Dental Clinic N2 – Probably The Scariest Dental Clinic In The World Views today: 926 - Travel
- Meet Oreo, The World’s First Cat Nurse Views today: 791 - Animals
- Powerful NSFW Photos From The 2017 Birth Photo Competition Prove That Moms Are Badass Views today: 664 - Photography
- Awkward Metal Band Photos Views today: 510 - Photography
- How To Cure ‘Mototoxicosis’ Views today: 440 - Photography
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager Views today: 405 - Photography
- Photographer Olgaç Bozalp Captures Fashion People In Iran, And It’s Not Easy Views today: 393 - Photography
- Finnish Woman Creates Controversial Self Portraits, Calls It Art Views today: 376 - Inspirations
- The Amazing Makeup By Lucia Pittalis Views today: 372 - Inspirations
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master Views today: 332 - Inspirations
- Instagram’s ‘Bros Being Basic’ Shows Men Recreating Clichéd Snaps Of Women Views today: 321 - Inspirations
- Meet Angela Nikolau, The Russian Girl Who Takes The World’s Riskiest Photos Views today: 300 - Photography