Alpine Crop Circles: The Snow Art of Simon Beck
Simon Beck has spent a lot of time at Arc2000 in the French Alps this winter, but he hasn’t been skiing. Beck spends his days doing something entirely different: making snow art. Many compare Beck’s work to “crop circles,” but this is not the labor of “aliens” who’ve chosen a wintrier medium. This “snow art” is the work of a lone artist who spends hours trudging around the French ski resort to fashion his designs.
Beck’s intricate creations come in a range of forms from spirals to cubes, snowflakes, and abstract figures. These snowy “crop circles” are created by the simple act of walking in the snow wearing raquettes.
“They aren’t hard to do,” Beck boasts on his snow art page. “Good exercise, yes, but not particularly difficult. I’ve placed it in the walking category as they are made by walking about in snowshoes.”
The Oxford-educated self-employed map maker typically walks for about five hours or until he gets too tired, using a headlamp if it gets dark first. The shapes are created by a kind of reverse orienteering. The main lines and points are surveyed using a sighting compass with distances measured either by pace counting or string.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
- There’s An Old Abandoned Theme Park Near Tokyo, And It’s Creepy As Hell Views today: 2,446 - Travel
- The Innovative Minimalist Earrings By The Designer Otis Jaxon Views today: 1,030 - Design
- Walking On Frozen Baikal, The Deepest And Oldest Lake On Earth To Capture Its Otherworldly Beauty Views today: 901 - Travel
- When You See Where This Hidden Staircase Leads You’re Going To Want One Views today: 884 - Design
- Biting Illustrations That Uncover All Of The Human Essences In Modern World Views today: 882 - Inspirations
- Ed Gein Style Horror Jacket Is The Most Terrifying Jacket Ever Views today: 855 - Design
- The White House’s Pete Souza Has Shot Nearly 2M Photos Of Obama, Here Some Of His Favorites Views today: 825 - Photography
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager Views today: 517 - Photography
- An Artist Transforms The Shapes Of Animals Into Cubes To Makes Them Definitely Look Straight Out Of Minecraft Views today: 465 - Animals
- Honest Puns Inspired By CSS That Web Designers Can Relate To Views today: 295 - Inspirations
- These Photographs Of Creepy Children Will Terrify You Views today: 255 - Photography
- Bizarre Paintings Of Mecha Robots And Werewolves Attacking East European Peasants Of The Early 20th Century Views today: 250 - Inspirations
- This Dreadful Emptiness: Dark And Depressive Illustrations By Aron Wiesenfeld Views today: 241 - Inspirations
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images Views today: 217 - Photography
- Vibram Furoshiki Shoe Views today: 209 - Technology