Alpine Crop Circles: The Snow Art of Simon Beck
Simon Beck has spent a lot of time at Arc2000 in the French Alps this winter, but he hasn’t been skiing. Beck spends his days doing something entirely different: making snow art. Many compare Beck’s work to “crop circles,” but this is not the labor of “aliens” who’ve chosen a wintrier medium. This “snow art” is the work of a lone artist who spends hours trudging around the French ski resort to fashion his designs.
Beck’s intricate creations come in a range of forms from spirals to cubes, snowflakes, and abstract figures. These snowy “crop circles” are created by the simple act of walking in the snow wearing raquettes.
“They aren’t hard to do,” Beck boasts on his snow art page. “Good exercise, yes, but not particularly difficult. I’ve placed it in the walking category as they are made by walking about in snowshoes.”
The Oxford-educated self-employed map maker typically walks for about five hours or until he gets too tired, using a headlamp if it gets dark first. The shapes are created by a kind of reverse orienteering. The main lines and points are surveyed using a sighting compass with distances measured either by pace counting or string.
Meanwhile on Design You Trust
- What If Doctors Doodle Brand Logos?
- British & American English: Differences
- Real Life Teddy Bear’s Picnic: Model and Her Daughter Pose in Cute Snaps with Huge Brown Bear
- McDonald’s Offering Massive 48-McNuggest Bucket in Japan, But True Idol Fans Need to Eat 1,200
- 3D-Printed Paintings Let The Blind “See” Famous Art For The First Time
- Dad Re-Draws His Daughter’s Pencil Sketches
- Brilliant, Energetic and Skillfully Shot Images of Headbangers Mid-Bang
- Percko: The Perfect Posture Shirt
- Street Art by Sainer and Bezt (Etam Cru)
- Old Superheroes: Artist Shows How Superheroes Will Look When They Retire
- Meet Nangua, A Very Rare (And Very Adorable) Bright Orange Baby Monkey
- 1,400-Year-Old Gingko Tree Sheds a Spectacular Ocean of Golden Leaves
- These Are The Yoga Photos No One Wants To Put On Instagram
- Loving Boyfriend Prepares Symmetrical Breakfasts for Himself and His Partner Every Day
- This Guy Just Won The Selfie Stick Game Once And For All