Life in Hanoi
Hanoi is the capital of Vietnam and the country’s second largest city. Its population in 2009 was estimated at 2.6 million for urban districts, 6.5 million for the metropolitan jurisdiction. From 1010 until 1802, it was the most important political centre of Vietnam. It was eclipsed by Huế, the imperial capital of Vietnam during the Nguyen dynasty (1802-1945), but Hanoi served as the capital of French Indochina from 1902 to 1954. From 1954 to 1976, it was the capital of North Vietnam, and it became the capital of a reunified Vietnam in 1976, after the North’s victory in the Vietnam war.
As the capital of Vietnam for almost a thousand years, Hanoi is considered one of the main cultural centres of Vietnam, where most Vietnamese dynasties have left their imprint. Even though some relics have not survived through wars and time, the city still has many interesting cultural and historic monuments for visitors and residents alike. Even when the nation’s capital moved to Huế under the Nguyễn Dynasty in 1802, the city of Hanoi continued to flourish, especially after the French took control in 1888 and modeled the city’s architecture to their tastes, lending an important aesthetic to the city’s rich stylistic heritage. The city hosts more cultural sites than any city in Vietnam, and boasts more than 1,000 years of history, and that of the past few hundred years has been well preserved.
Hanoi has rich food traditions and many of Vietnam’s most famous dishes, such as phở, chả cá, bánh cuốn and cốm are thought to come from Hanoi. Perhaps most widely known is Phở, a simple rice noodle soup often eaten as a breakfast dish in the home or at streetside cafes, but also served in restaurants as a meal. Two varieties dominate the Hanoi scene: Phở Bò, containing beef, and Phở Gà, containing chicken.
And here, just scroll down and take a look at some amazing analog pictures of street-life in Hanoi.
See the rest at Shooting Film
Meanwhile on Design You Trust:
- Bring The Argentinian Grasslands Indoors With These Stunning Handmade Rugs
- Shipwrecks And Deep Ocean Scenes Encapsulated Inside Translucent Whale Sculptures
- This Engineer Creates Incredible 3D Calligraphy That Leaps Off The Page
- Chinese Village Builds Giant Golden Statue Of Mao Zedong
- Street Art That Only Appears When It Rains
- Men And Women Before 10 A.M. By Veronique Vial
- Jellyfish Plants Transform Your Room Into A Underwater Wonderland
- Hairstylist Paints Hair Into Classic Paintings
- Nature Framed By Myoung Ho Lee
- Istanbul Inception: Surreal Turkish Cityscapes By Aydın Büyüktaş
- These Twisted Vintage Portraits Were Made Before Photoshop
- Hilarious Illustrations Of Real Movie Typos By Austin Light
- The Six Stages of Waking Up In The Morning
- This Artist Turns People Into Aliens By Drawing Faces On Their Backs
- This Craftsman Creates Absolutely Badass Steampunk Masks, Outfits And Accessories