Australian Smokers React to New Tobacco Packaging Rules
The new cigarette packs are a plain drab colour apart from graphic images of the effects of smoking, a move health researchers believe will cut smoking rates. Australia’s stringent anti-tobacco laws, making manufacturers package cigarettes in drab olive green packs with pictures of ill babies and diseased body parts, come into effect on 1 December.
The legislation, the toughest in the world, strips packs of all branding, bright colours and logos, leaving only the name printed in identical small font. However, some smokers in Sydney said the new packaging with graphic images are not likely to make them think twice about buying their regular packs of cigarettes.
“Oh they hit home of course, but we already know that as a smoker. We already know the effects especially being 20 years a smoker, you know, it’s our choice”, smoker Lisa Wright said. Another smoker, Victor El Hage dismissed the images as “pictures you can find in any places”.
Packaged cigarettes which have to be sold in identical olive-brown packets bearing the same typeface and largely covered with graphic health warnings, with the same style of writing so the only identifier of a brand will be the name on the packet, are displayed in a shop in Sydney on December 1, 2012. A new world-first law forcing tobacco companies to sell cigarettes in identical packets came into effect Saturday in Australia in an effort to strip any glamour from smoking and prevent young people from taking up the habit.
Photos by William West/AFP Photo.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy Views today: 72,759 - Photography
- The Russia You’ll Never See On Postcards Through The Lens Of Photographer Alexander Petrosyan Views today: 38,017 - Photography
- American Artist Creates Creepy Trump Photo Collages Views today: 2,412 - Inspirations
- Powerful NSFW Photos From The 2017 Birth Photo Competition Prove That Moms Are Badass Views today: 2,029 - Photography
- Instagram’s ‘Bros Being Basic’ Shows Men Recreating Clichéd Snaps Of Women Views today: 1,465 - Inspirations
- Russian Dental Clinic N2 – Probably The Scariest Dental Clinic In The World Views today: 1,344 - Travel
- Awkward Metal Band Photos Views today: 1,008 - Photography
- Meet Oreo, The World’s First Cat Nurse Views today: 954 - Animals
- Photographer Olgaç Bozalp Captures Fashion People In Iran, And It’s Not Easy Views today: 782 - Photography
- Finnish Woman Creates Controversial Self Portraits, Calls It Art Views today: 651 - Inspirations
- How To Cure ‘Mototoxicosis’ Views today: 580 - Photography
- Meet Angela Nikolau, The Russian Girl Who Takes The World’s Riskiest Photos Views today: 512 - Photography
- A Meditative Photo Series Shows Tokyo’s Loneliest Moments Views today: 455 - Photography
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager Views today: 447 - Photography
- American Women Mugshots In The 1960s Views today: 426 - Photography