Australian Smokers React to New Tobacco Packaging Rules
Like DYT on FB:
The new cigarette packs are a plain drab colour apart from graphic images of the effects of smoking, a move health researchers believe will cut smoking rates. Australia’s stringent anti-tobacco laws, making manufacturers package cigarettes in drab olive green packs with pictures of ill babies and diseased body parts, come into effect on 1 December.
The legislation, the toughest in the world, strips packs of all branding, bright colours and logos, leaving only the name printed in identical small font. However, some smokers in Sydney said the new packaging with graphic images are not likely to make them think twice about buying their regular packs of cigarettes.
“Oh they hit home of course, but we already know that as a smoker. We already know the effects especially being 20 years a smoker, you know, it’s our choice”, smoker Lisa Wright said. Another smoker, Victor El Hage dismissed the images as “pictures you can find in any places”.
Packaged cigarettes which have to be sold in identical olive-brown packets bearing the same typeface and largely covered with graphic health warnings, with the same style of writing so the only identifier of a brand will be the name on the packet, are displayed in a shop in Sydney on December 1, 2012. A new world-first law forcing tobacco companies to sell cigarettes in identical packets came into effect Saturday in Australia in an effort to strip any glamour from smoking and prevent young people from taking up the habit.
Photos by William West/AFP Photo.
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Impressive Celebrity Portraits By Bettina Rheims
- Photoshop Master Showed Why We Should Not Believe Photos In Social Networks
- Humorous Posters Of Graphic Design Puns That Will Make Designers Laugh
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Ukrainian Photographer Creates Powerful Photo To Overcome Anxiety, And Here’s How She Did It
- Japanese T-Shirt Uses Optical Illusion To Give Breasts To Even The Flat-Chested
- Probably, The Best Movie Posters From The Last 10 Years
- Nightmares, Melancholy And Phobias: NSFW Fine Art Photography By Diana Dihaze
- Honest Illustration Of The Contradictory Nature Of People And Society By Sako Asko
- Dog Photographer Of The Year 2017 Winners
- These Amazing Drawings Appear To Jump Out Of The Page
- Syrian Artist Paints World Leaders As Refugees
- Surreal And Dreamy Photo Manipulations By Jackson Hall
- Boxed In: Life Inside The “Coffin Cubicles” Of Hong Kong
- A Shoe Polish Brand Won Big At Cannes For One Of The Most Delightful Campaigns
- Denmark Will Have This Amazing New Observation Tower Next Year
- 7 Playboy Playmates Re-Enact Their Iconic Covers
- Chinese Student Designs Award-Winning Life Slide
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- The Story Of David Glasheen, A Real Life Robinson Crusoe
- The Supertrain Of 1979 Will Blow Your Mind
- Portuguese Street Artist Unveiled A Giant Rabbit Made Of Trash On The Streets Of Vila Nova De Gaia In Portugal
- Sex Machines: Photographs and Interviews By Timothy Archibald
- This Wood Wine Box Packaging Can Be Reused As A Bird House
- Russian Craftsman Shapes Wooden Motor Tricycle