The New Barbie: Meet the Doll with an Average Woman’s Proportions
Lammily is the forthcoming plastic doll whose motto is, “Average is beautiful.” Her body shape is based on averages of data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control that is more often used to track the American obesity epidemic. She is not affiliated with Mattel’s Barbie.
Last year, graphic designer Nickolay Lamm created some concept images of the “Normal Barbie” that became very popular around the Internet. (If you didn’t see them, one is to the right.) Today Lamm is launching a project to put the design into production and make the dolls a reality. It’s crowd-sourced, it “promotes realistic standards of beauty,” and it can be under your holiday tree by late 2014 if enough people support the project.
Just like Barbie, Lammily has articulated elbows and likes horses and fast cars and rodeos, but she also likes slow cars, or whatever, it’s even fine if you just have a bike and use a car-sharing service. Who owns a car anymore? Lammily isn’t here to judge you, or leave you for a better-looking, closeted gay man with perfect sweaters and a nice car.
Credits: The Atlantic
Meanwhile on Design You Trust
- Ombre Tights Hand-Dyed By Tiffany Ju
- Maid-Themed Cafe In Chinese City Of Hangzhou
- Eerie Photographs Captured By An Urban Explorer Show An Abandoned Mental Asylum Crumbling Into Disrepair
- UK Royal Society Of Biology’s Photographer Of The Year Shortlist
- This Guy Took Apart A Drum Set And Turned It Into Something Awesome
- Rural Daily Life In A Small Tuscany Village Beautifully Photographed By Marco Sgarbi
- Badass Steampunk Skull Rocker Leather Waist And Holster Bag
- Breathtaking Photos Of London From Above
- Amazing Hand Painting Illusions By Ray Massey And Annie Ralli
- Elderly Animals By Isa Leshko
- Japanese Artist Makes Models Burst At The Seams With Creepy Zips, Buttons And Power Plugs Painted On Their Skin
- Fantasy Animals By Lee Cross
- This Artist Duo Uses Face As A Canvas To Recreate Famous Classic Paintings
- Art Of The Deep Space
- Vintage Pie Ads