The Weight Watchers: Candid Photos Taken By An Obese Woman Reveal How Strangers Really React To Her On The Street
Like DYT on FB:
An overweight woman who photographs herself in public to capture the cruel looks and stares she attracts has turned her series of portraits into a book. The Watchers shows photos of Haley Morris-Cafiero, an artist from Memphis, Tennessee, taken in different social settings around the world over six years. The 40-year-old positions a camera and stations herself in front of it in public spaces to take photos of herself and capture the reaction of those passing by.
“Four years ago, I started the Wait Watchers photographic series when I was taking a self-portrait in Times Square. After I got the film developed I noticed that there was a man behind me and he appeared to be sneering at me.”, says Haley.
“It intrigued me that even though we were in the sensory overload capital of the world and he is being photographed by someone, he was fixated on me. And then it happened 5 minutes later on the same roll of film. Since then, I have set up my camera for the purpose of capturing the expressions of passersby.
“, she added.
“When I get home, I look at each frame to see if anyone in the photograph had a critical or questioning look on their face or gesture in their body language. While I do not know what the passerby is thinking, my goal is to reverse the gaze back onto the stranger and start a conversation. I am very interested in how society uses their gaze to project emotions and then how we interpret the looks of others.”
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Sunny Photographs That Show Just How Far Out Beach Life Was In ’70s
- Photoshop Master Showed Why We Should Not Believe Photos In Social Networks
- Creative Eroticism: How These Funny Ads Get Around Censorship
- Czech Photographer Michal Pudelka: Girls, Girls, Girls
- Honest Photos That Show What Veterans Look Like After A Decade Of War In The Middle East
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Humorous Posters Of Graphic Design Puns That Will Make Designers Laugh
- Impressive Celebrity Portraits By Bettina Rheims
- Denmark Will Have This Amazing New Observation Tower Next Year
- Boxed In: Life Inside The “Coffin Cubicles” Of Hong Kong
- Into The Canvas: One Model, Incredible Makeup, And No Photoshop
- An Architect Creates This Stunning Address Book Swimming Pool
- Japanese T-Shirt Uses Optical Illusion To Give Breasts To Even The Flat-Chested
- Probably, The Best Movie Posters From The Last 10 Years
- These Amazing Drawings Appear To Jump Out Of The Page
- Iconic New York City Buildings Are The Pieces In This Chess Set
- Dog Photographer Of The Year 2017 Winners
- Israeli Artist PILPELED Collaborates With Bike Company Creating A First Ever Artistically Designed Bike
- Surreal And Dreamy Photo Manipulations By Jackson Hall
- Tel Aviv-Based Designer Chen Bikovski Creates Stunning Aluminum Cactus Lamp
- Our Small World Through The Lens Of Russian Photographer Sergey Maximishin
- Russian Craftsman Shapes Wooden Motor Tricycle
- Chinese Student Designs Award-Winning Life Slide
- These Nature Inspired Wall Hooks Are A Creative Twist To The Traditional Hanger
- China’s Famous ‘Face-Kini’ Gets Porcelain-Inspired Facelift