The Weight Watchers: Candid Photos Taken By An Obese Woman Reveal How Strangers Really React To Her On The Street
An overweight woman who photographs herself in public to capture the cruel looks and stares she attracts has turned her series of portraits into a book. The Watchers shows photos of Haley Morris-Cafiero, an artist from Memphis, Tennessee, taken in different social settings around the world over six years. The 40-year-old positions a camera and stations herself in front of it in public spaces to take photos of herself and capture the reaction of those passing by.
“Four years ago, I started the Wait Watchers photographic series when I was taking a self-portrait in Times Square. After I got the film developed I noticed that there was a man behind me and he appeared to be sneering at me.”, says Haley.
“It intrigued me that even though we were in the sensory overload capital of the world and he is being photographed by someone, he was fixated on me. And then it happened 5 minutes later on the same roll of film. Since then, I have set up my camera for the purpose of capturing the expressions of passersby.
“, she added.
“When I get home, I look at each frame to see if anyone in the photograph had a critical or questioning look on their face or gesture in their body language. While I do not know what the passerby is thinking, my goal is to reverse the gaze back onto the stranger and start a conversation. I am very interested in how society uses their gaze to project emotions and then how we interpret the looks of others.”
Trending on Design You Trust:
- Famous Songs Hilariously Explained With Simple Comics
- The Angel Oak Tree In South Carolina Is Infernally Beautiful
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- Chinese City Opens Awesome Five-Star Public Toilet
- Aerial Images Of Salterns That Blur The Line Between Photograph And Painting
- Polish Craftsman Creates Amazing Household Items With A Folk Twist
- Marvelous Dreamlike Portraits Of Redheads With Red Foxes By Alexandra Bochkareva
- This Peculiar Board Game Is Anticipated To Be Biggest Kickstarter Campaign Ever
- Surreal Animal Hybrid Tattoos Look Like Quirky Sketchbook Drawings
- What Michelle Obama’s Campaign Branding May Look Like If She Runs For President
- Photographer Andreas Levers Captures The Hazy Glow Of Unpopulated Streets At Night
- Oxford University Women’s Rugby Team Strip Off For Charity Calendar
- Frozen Beauty: The Look Inside Europe’s Largest Glacier
- Black Model Recreates Famous Fashion Campaigns To Highlight Lack Of Diversity In Fashion Industry
- This Barber Artist Creates 3D Portraits In People’s Hair