The Weight Watchers: Candid Photos Taken By An Obese Woman Reveal How Strangers Really React To Her On The Street
An overweight woman who photographs herself in public to capture the cruel looks and stares she attracts has turned her series of portraits into a book. The Watchers shows photos of Haley Morris-Cafiero, an artist from Memphis, Tennessee, taken in different social settings around the world over six years. The 40-year-old positions a camera and stations herself in front of it in public spaces to take photos of herself and capture the reaction of those passing by.
“Four years ago, I started the Wait Watchers photographic series when I was taking a self-portrait in Times Square. After I got the film developed I noticed that there was a man behind me and he appeared to be sneering at me.”, says Haley.
“It intrigued me that even though we were in the sensory overload capital of the world and he is being photographed by someone, he was fixated on me. And then it happened 5 minutes later on the same roll of film. Since then, I have set up my camera for the purpose of capturing the expressions of passersby.
“, she added.
“When I get home, I look at each frame to see if anyone in the photograph had a critical or questioning look on their face or gesture in their body language. While I do not know what the passerby is thinking, my goal is to reverse the gaze back onto the stranger and start a conversation. I am very interested in how society uses their gaze to project emotions and then how we interpret the looks of others.”
Meanwhile on Design You Trust:
- The Hofskirkja Church – The Only Church Left With A Grass Rooftop
- Someone Is Hiding Dirty Texts In Beautiful Photos And It’s Hilarious
- Intimate Murals Revive Abandoned Buildings Around The World
- Projection-Mapped PDA Puts Kissing Couples On Display In Paris
- Rita Kluge’s Distinctive Photos Capture The Humpback Whale Calving Season In The South Pacific
- Breathtaking Views Of Earth From Above
- This Dad Turns His 6-Year-Old Son’s Drawings Into Reality
- Halloween-Obsessed Couple Build ‘Doll Asylum’ By Filling Home With Mutilated Toys
- Stunning Cosplay Photography By Natasha Firsakova
- Taste Of Insanity: Mindblowing Digital Artworks By Pierre-Alain D
- Brilliant Set Of Illusional Artworks Showing The Real Meaning Of The Word “Creativity”
- UK Landscape Photographer Of The Year Awards
- Hottest And Most Grooviest Photos From The Past That Will Redefine Your Style Statement
- This Dog Loves to Play Dress Up With Cardboard Cutouts
- You Need A Mermaid Blanket In Your Life