The Weight Watchers: Candid Photos Taken By An Obese Woman Reveal How Strangers Really React To Her On The Street
An overweight woman who photographs herself in public to capture the cruel looks and stares she attracts has turned her series of portraits into a book. The Watchers shows photos of Haley Morris-Cafiero, an artist from Memphis, Tennessee, taken in different social settings around the world over six years. The 40-year-old positions a camera and stations herself in front of it in public spaces to take photos of herself and capture the reaction of those passing by.
“Four years ago, I started the Wait Watchers photographic series when I was taking a self-portrait in Times Square. After I got the film developed I noticed that there was a man behind me and he appeared to be sneering at me.”, says Haley.
“It intrigued me that even though we were in the sensory overload capital of the world and he is being photographed by someone, he was fixated on me. And then it happened 5 minutes later on the same roll of film. Since then, I have set up my camera for the purpose of capturing the expressions of passersby.
“, she added.
“When I get home, I look at each frame to see if anyone in the photograph had a critical or questioning look on their face or gesture in their body language. While I do not know what the passerby is thinking, my goal is to reverse the gaze back onto the stranger and start a conversation. I am very interested in how society uses their gaze to project emotions and then how we interpret the looks of others.”
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- Bad Girl Mugshots From Between The 1940s And 1960s Views today: 44,120 - Photography
- California’s Failed Utopia Views today: 3,829 - Travel
- Beautiful Photos Of Cuba In 1954 That Looks Like A Country Of Freedom Views today: 1,973 - Travel
- These Intimate NSFW Fashion Dolls Are Handcrafted To Bare All Views today: 1,290 - Design
- Strange, Seductive And Surreal Erotic Photo Montages From 1920-30’s Vienna Views today: 1,264 - Photography
- Russian Photographer Brings Fairytales To Life In Stunning, Breathtaking Images Views today: 572 - Photography
- The Nightmare That Was ‘His & Her’ Fashion Views today: 554 - Inspirations
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images Views today: 442 - Photography
- These People Love ‘Friends’ So Much They’ve Got Tattoos Inspired By The Sitcom Views today: 442 - Inspirations
- Stunning Photos Of Haile Selassie I, The Emperor Of Ethiopia Views today: 362 - Photography
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London Views today: 352 - Inspirations
- Tiny Living Room Makes Its Way Inside PC Views today: 349 - Design
- NASA Just Released Travel Posters For Our New Sister Solar System, And They’re Cool As Hell Views today: 344 - Inspirations
- A Shelter Has Been Trying To Find A Home For This Cat For Over A Year Views today: 328 - Animals
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master Views today: 314 - Inspirations
- Artist Rainier Weber Designs Unique Gold-Plated AK47 Chair From Real Rifles Views today: 293 - Design
- Meet The Tree That Actually Bleeds When It’s Sliced Open Views today: 278 - Inspirations
- Japanese Artist Creates Stunning Mashup Photos Of Superhero Action Figures Views today: 237 - Inspirations
- Pain, Tears And Death: Modern World Captured By The Contestants Of The World Press Photo Contest 2017 Views today: 224 - Photography
- Tyler Haughey Shoots Jersey Shore’s 1950s Resorts, During The Off Season Views today: 211 - Photography