Haunting And Beautiful Portraits Of Native American Peoples From The Early 20th Century
Edward S.Curtis is an American hero who created one of the most enduring and iconic visual records in the history of the photographic medium, a record that has informed our vision of who we are and where we came from. The images he created during his extraordinary, thirty-year odyssey have touched viewers throughout the world. Today he is believed to be the world’s most widely collected and exhibited fine art photographer.
In 1906, J. P. Morgan provided Curtis with $75,000 to produce a series on Native Americans. This work was to be in 20 volumes with 1,500 photographs. Morgan’s funds were to be disbursed over five years and were earmarked to support only fieldwork for the books, not for writing, editing, or production of the volumes. Curtis received no salary for the project, which was to last more than 20 years. Under the terms of the arrangement, Morgan was to receive 25 sets and 500 original prints as repayment.
Once Curtis had secured funding for the project, he was able to hire several employees to help him. Eventually 222 complete sets were published. Curtis’s goal was not just to photograph but also to document as much of Native American traditional life as possible before that way of life disappeared.
Curtis made over 10,000 wax cylinder recordings of Native American language and music. He took over 40,000 photographic images of members of over 80 tribes. His work changed the way an entire nation viewed Native Americans. He accomplished this at a time when some individuals were actively advocating for the extinction of all Native people on this continent. His images have also moved and inspired extraordinarily broad and diverse audiences, transcending economic, cultural, social, educational, and national boundaries.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy Views today: 54,920 - Photography
- The Russia You’ll Never See On Postcards Through The Lens Of Photographer Alexander Petrosyan Views today: 23,168 - Photography
- American Artist Creates Creepy Trump Photo Collages Views today: 1,789 - Inspirations
- Powerful NSFW Photos From The 2017 Birth Photo Competition Prove That Moms Are Badass Views today: 1,706 - Photography
- Instagram’s ‘Bros Being Basic’ Shows Men Recreating Clichéd Snaps Of Women Views today: 1,280 - Inspirations
- Russian Dental Clinic N2 – Probably The Scariest Dental Clinic In The World Views today: 992 - Travel
- Awkward Metal Band Photos Views today: 760 - Photography
- Photographer Olgaç Bozalp Captures Fashion People In Iran, And It’s Not Easy Views today: 607 - Photography
- Meet Oreo, The World’s First Cat Nurse Views today: 551 - Animals
- Finnish Woman Creates Controversial Self Portraits, Calls It Art Views today: 496 - Inspirations
- Meet Angela Nikolau, The Russian Girl Who Takes The World’s Riskiest Photos Views today: 458 - Photography
- A Meditative Photo Series Shows Tokyo’s Loneliest Moments Views today: 384 - Photography
- How To Cure ‘Mototoxicosis’ Views today: 366 - Photography
- American Women Mugshots In The 1960s Views today: 350 - Photography
- Dreamlike Images That Will Inspire Your Surrealist Soul Views today: 314 - Inspirations