Deadly Lake Waters Turn Birds to Stone
Tanzania’s Lake Natron takes its name from the naturally occurring mix of chemicals it contains: mainly sodium carbonate decahydrate (soda ash) and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). The lake is fed by mineral hot springs and a river, but no water flows out except through evaporation.
It may look like this bird was gripped by the icy hand of death, but scientists will explain that it was actually calcified in the caustic waters of Tanzania’s Lake Natron. Photographer Nick Brandt’s eerie black and white photos allow both interpretations.
“I unexpectedly found the creatures — all manner of birds and bats — washed up along the shoreline of Lake Natron in Northern Tanzania. The water has an extremely high soda and salt content, so high that it would strip the ink off my Kodak film boxes within a few seconds. The soda and salt causes the creatures to calcify, perfectly preserved, as they dry,” Brandt writes in his new photo/essay book, Across The Ravaged Land.
To give these obviously lifeless creatures an air of reanimation, Brandt picked them up off the shoreline and perched them in pre-death poses.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
- There’s An Old Abandoned Theme Park Near Tokyo, And It’s Creepy As Hell Views today: 2,539 - Travel
- The Innovative Minimalist Earrings By The Designer Otis Jaxon Views today: 1,140 - Design
- The White House’s Pete Souza Has Shot Nearly 2M Photos Of Obama, Here Some Of His Favorites Views today: 1,058 - Photography
- Ed Gein Style Horror Jacket Is The Most Terrifying Jacket Ever Views today: 1,046 - Design
- Walking On Frozen Baikal, The Deepest And Oldest Lake On Earth To Capture Its Otherworldly Beauty Views today: 960 - Travel
- Biting Illustrations That Uncover All Of The Human Essences In Modern World Views today: 935 - Inspirations
- When You See Where This Hidden Staircase Leads You’re Going To Want One Views today: 928 - Design
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager Views today: 559 - Photography
- An Artist Transforms The Shapes Of Animals Into Cubes To Makes Them Definitely Look Straight Out Of Minecraft Views today: 476 - Animals
- These Photographs Of Creepy Children Will Terrify You Views today: 310 - Photography
- Honest Puns Inspired By CSS That Web Designers Can Relate To Views today: 303 - Inspirations
- Bizarre Paintings Of Mecha Robots And Werewolves Attacking East European Peasants Of The Early 20th Century Views today: 282 - Inspirations
- This Dreadful Emptiness: Dark And Depressive Illustrations By Aron Wiesenfeld Views today: 254 - Inspirations
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images Views today: 251 - Photography
- Vibram Furoshiki Shoe Views today: 226 - Technology