Started As A Mistake, Retired Gym Teacher Wore The Same Disco-Era Outfit For 40 Years Of Yearbook Portraits
Retired gym teacher Dale Irby posed for his first yearbook photo back in 1973 at Prestonwood Elementary school in Dallas, Texas. The next year, completely by accident, Irby wore the exact same outfit.
“I was so embarrassed when I got the school pictures back that second year and realized I had worn the very same thing as the first year,” Dale told Dallas Morning News.
At first he was horrified to discover the faux pas, but then his wife Cathy dared him to do it a third year. Then Dale thought five would be funny. “After five pictures,” he said, “it was like: ‘Why stop?’”
So he just never did, right on through this, his final year as every kid’s favorite physical education teacher at Prestonwood Elementary in the Richardson school district.
What started as a mistake, turned into a dare, and then ultimately into a 40-year tradition that ended in 2013 when Irby chose to retire. From 1973 until 2013, you can pick up any of Prestonwood Elementary’s yearbooks and find an aging Irby wearing the same exact outfit.
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy Views today: 64,558 - Photography
- The Russia You’ll Never See On Postcards Through The Lens Of Photographer Alexander Petrosyan Views today: 31,460 - Photography
- American Artist Creates Creepy Trump Photo Collages Views today: 2,039 - Inspirations
- Powerful NSFW Photos From The 2017 Birth Photo Competition Prove That Moms Are Badass Views today: 1,864 - Photography
- Instagram’s ‘Bros Being Basic’ Shows Men Recreating Clichéd Snaps Of Women Views today: 1,360 - Inspirations
- Russian Dental Clinic N2 – Probably The Scariest Dental Clinic In The World Views today: 1,149 - Travel
- Awkward Metal Band Photos Views today: 850 - Photography
- Meet Oreo, The World’s First Cat Nurse Views today: 779 - Animals
- Photographer Olgaç Bozalp Captures Fashion People In Iran, And It’s Not Easy Views today: 702 - Photography
- Finnish Woman Creates Controversial Self Portraits, Calls It Art Views today: 581 - Inspirations
- Meet Angela Nikolau, The Russian Girl Who Takes The World’s Riskiest Photos Views today: 480 - Photography
- How To Cure ‘Mototoxicosis’ Views today: 464 - Photography
- A Meditative Photo Series Shows Tokyo’s Loneliest Moments Views today: 409 - Photography
- American Women Mugshots In The 1960s Views today: 388 - Photography
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager Views today: 388 - Photography