Started As A Mistake, Retired Gym Teacher Wore The Same Disco-Era Outfit For 40 Years Of Yearbook Portraits
Retired gym teacher Dale Irby posed for his first yearbook photo back in 1973 at Prestonwood Elementary school in Dallas, Texas. The next year, completely by accident, Irby wore the exact same outfit.
“I was so embarrassed when I got the school pictures back that second year and realized I had worn the very same thing as the first year,” Dale told Dallas Morning News.
At first he was horrified to discover the faux pas, but then his wife Cathy dared him to do it a third year. Then Dale thought five would be funny. “After five pictures,” he said, “it was like: ‘Why stop?’”
So he just never did, right on through this, his final year as every kid’s favorite physical education teacher at Prestonwood Elementary in the Richardson school district.
What started as a mistake, turned into a dare, and then ultimately into a 40-year tradition that ended in 2013 when Irby chose to retire. From 1973 until 2013, you can pick up any of Prestonwood Elementary’s yearbooks and find an aging Irby wearing the same exact outfit.
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Polish Photographer Creates Amazing Slavic Pagan Themed Photoshoot And Proves Slavs Have Amazing Culture
- Sensual And Dreamy NSFW Feminine Photography By Ilona Shevchishina
- Chilling Look At The Ordinary Cars ISIS Have Transformed Into ‘Mad Max’ Deadly Bombs
- More Than 4,000 Photographs From The D-Day Invasion Of Normandy Are Now Available Online
- A Look Back At Playboy Bunny Girls
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Welcome To Heimat: An Enchanted NSFW Trip Through Bavaria With Photographer Ellen Von Unwerth
- When LIFE Magazine Received Pics Of Still-Unknown Marilyn Monroe, They Replied “WTH Is Marilyn Monroe”
- Guy Paints Over Shit Graffiti And Makes It Legible
- “Rebels Without A Pause” – Intimate Portraits Of Britain’s Aging Rebels And Mavericks
- Woman Flawlessly Retakes Her Study Abroad Photos, 30 Years Later
- 80’s Young Fashion: Color Photos Of US Teen Girls During The 1980s
- Dive In And Join The Chaos – If You Can Find Any Water Left In These Crowded Swimming Pools
- Amazing ‘Before’ And ‘After’ Photos: Make-Up Artist Transforms A Face Without The Use Of Photoshop
- The ‘Real’ New York: Gritty Scenes Of NYC Street Life In The 1970s
- Bees Under The Macro Lens
- Colombian Daredevil Dog Skydives For Military Training
- “Geometric Variants”, An Optical Illusion Photography Project By Erika Zolli
- Japanese Artist Nobuhiro Nakanishi Creates Fantastic Layered Drawings
- Guy Discovers He Can Go Anywhere While Wearing A Hi-Vis Vest
- The Explosive And Twisted Illustrations By Mike Hughes
- Cultural Torture: An Offensive And Ironic Guide To Pissing People Off In Their Own Countries
- Stunning Digital Surreal Art By Mikhail Batrak
- Chinese Village Turns Artsy With Murals
- Meet Light Ragaz, A Spectacular 3D Projection Onto Natural Environment