Started As A Mistake, Retired Gym Teacher Wore The Same Disco-Era Outfit For 40 Years Of Yearbook Portraits
Like DYT on FB:
Retired gym teacher Dale Irby posed for his first yearbook photo back in 1973 at Prestonwood Elementary school in Dallas, Texas. The next year, completely by accident, Irby wore the exact same outfit.
“I was so embarrassed when I got the school pictures back that second year and realized I had worn the very same thing as the first year,” Dale told Dallas Morning News.
At first he was horrified to discover the faux pas, but then his wife Cathy dared him to do it a third year. Then Dale thought five would be funny. “After five pictures,” he said, “it was like: ‘Why stop?’”
So he just never did, right on through this, his final year as every kid’s favorite physical education teacher at Prestonwood Elementary in the Richardson school district.
What started as a mistake, turned into a dare, and then ultimately into a 40-year tradition that ended in 2013 when Irby chose to retire. From 1973 until 2013, you can pick up any of Prestonwood Elementary’s yearbooks and find an aging Irby wearing the same exact outfit.
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- 7 Playboy Playmates Re-Enact Their Iconic Covers
- Boxed In: Life Inside The “Coffin Cubicles” Of Hong Kong
- The Supertrain Of 1979 Will Blow Your Mind
- Chinese Artist Uses Colorful Paper To Warn Of Danger Of Guns
- Probably, The Best Movie Posters From The Last 10 Years
- A Shoe Polish Brand Won Big At Cannes For One Of The Most Delightful Campaigns
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Donyale Luna – The First Black Supermodel, Whom History Forgot
- Landscape Mirrors: Surreal Photo Manipulations By Rigved Sathe
- The Fantasy Coffins From Ghana
- Portuguese Street Artist Unveiled A Giant Rabbit Made Of Trash On The Streets Of Vila Nova De Gaia In Portugal
- Japanese T-Shirt Uses Optical Illusion To Give Breasts To Even The Flat-Chested
- Ukrainian Artist Made A Mesmerizing Sculpture Of Giant Raindrop Resting On Man’s Face
- The Prince Of Surrealism Takes A Poetic Approach – The Worlds Of Rafał Olbiński
- An Architect Creates This Stunning Address Book Swimming Pool
- Tel Aviv-Based Designer Chen Bikovski Creates Stunning Aluminum Cactus Lamp
- The Story Of David Glasheen, A Real Life Robinson Crusoe
- Father Draws Cartoon Childhood For His Daughter
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- The Alley Cats: Photographer Nayan Khanolkar Captures Leopards In The Middle Of Mumbai
- Creative Nightscape And Astrophotography By Jaxson Pohlman
- New Stick-On Soles Let You Forget Flip Flops And Go Barefoot
- IKEA Invents Clever Posters To Cook
- Sex Machines: Photographs and Interviews By Timothy Archibald
- Our Small World Through The Lens Of Russian Photographer Sergey Maximishin