Portrait Photos Of White Wolf AKA Chief John Smith, The Oldest Native American To Have Ever Lived
At the ripe age of 137, White Wolf a.k.a. Chief John Smith is considered the oldest Native American to have ever lived, 1785-1922.
When asked the secret to good health, Chief Smith responded “I never fly United Airlines.”
The Minneapolis Morning Tribune obituary says Ga-Be-Nah-Gewn-Wonce (variously known as Kay-bah-nung-we-way, Sloughing Flesh, Wrinkled Meat or plain old — well, really old — John Smith) was reputed to be 137 years old when he died. Whatever his precise age, his well-lined face indicates a man who led a long and full life.
According to Wikipeida, the exact age of John Smith at the time of his death has been a subject of controversy.
Federal Commissioner of Indian Enrollment Ransom J. Powell argued that “it was disease and not age that made him look the way he did” and remarked that according to records he was only 88 years old.
Paul Buffalo who, when a small boy, had met John Smith, said he had repeatedly heard the old man state that he was “seven or eight”, “eight or nine” and “ten years old” when the “stars fell”.
The stars falling refers to the Leonid meteor shower of November 13, 1833, about which local historian Carl Zapffe writes:
“Birthdates of Indians of the 19th Century had generally been determined by the Government in relation to the awe-inspiring shower of meteorites that burned through the American skies just before dawn on 13 November 1833, scaring the daylights out of civilized and uncivilized peoples alike. Obviously it was the end of the world…”.
This puts the age of John Smith at just under 100 years old at the time of his death.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Stunning Construction Photos Of Zaha Hadid Architects’ Leeza SOHO Tower And Its Record-Setting Atrium
- Japanese Company Releases Line Of ‘Crotch Charms’ For Women To Dangle From Their Swimsuits Between Their Legs
- Meet Diandra Forrest, Stunning Albino African American Model
- Mullet: The Badass Hairstyle Of The 1970s, 1980s And Early 1990s
- Meet The Italian Artists Inking Museum-Worthy Tattoos
- The Electric State: Simon Stålenhag Comes A New Narrative Artbook About A Girl And Her Robot Traveling West In An Alternate 90s USA
- Vintage Images Of People & Their Beloved Volkswagen Buses
- Stunning Finalists Photos From The “Through Our Eyes” Homeless Photography Project
- When Eight-Year-Olds Worked The Streets: Lewis Hine’s Beautiful Vintage Portraits Of Young Workers In America
- The Superb Sci-Fi Themed Works Of Su Jian
- Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Already Taken: The World Of Daniel Lismore
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Ohio Youth Of The 1970s – Lovely Photos Of Long-Haired Teenage Girls In Dayton From 1974-75
- Nature Takes Back Its Rights With The Vegetal Objects Of Camille Kachani
- Welders In China Cover Up Despite Summer Heat
- Wonderful Digital Fantasy Paintings By Svetlana Tigai
- The Seoul-Based Pastry Chef Creates Buttercream Floral Cakes That Look Too Beautiful To Eat
- Coffee Served In A Cone? Enjoy This Unique Drink At A Specialty Cafes Around The World!
- Casual NSFW Sculptures Show Women Getting Cozy In Themselves
- A Wandering Into The Fascinating Sketchbook Of Russian Artist Elena Limkina
- Artist Joanna Swirska Creates Superb Animalistic Tattoos
- Cradling Hyper-Realistic Babies In Uncanny Valley
- The Bride Was Busy During The Pre-Wedding Shoot, So They Had the Groomsman Fill In For Her
- This 3D Printed Coffee Table Shows Art As Seen Under The Microscope
- Artist Jacqueline Mak Takes On Consumerism, Body Politics, Humor, And Eroticism In Raunchy NSWF Collages