“Reporters Without Borders” Give Dictators The Finger
“In honor of Friday’s World Press Freedom Day, the non-governmental organization Reporters sans frontières (Reporters Without Borders) launched a campaign depicting world-famous dictators giving everyone the finger, or the international equivalent thereof.
Agence France Press interviewed the group’s leader, Christophe Deloire, who said that that they want to show how these “predators against press freedom” – the 39 worst according to the group’s own accounting – “make a mockery of press freedom and their own people”.
The group’s analysis of press freedom around the world lists some well known dictators as among the worst: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad, Russian President Vladimir Putin and the new Chinese President Xi Jinping, but it also lists the United States’ press freedoms as only in a “satisfactory situation”. (By comparison, Canada’s press freedom is graded as a “good situation”.)
In 1991, the United Nations established World Press Freedom Day, which “serves as an occasion to inform citizens of violations of press freedom – a reminder that in dozens of countries around the world, publications are censored, fined, suspended and closed down, while journalists, editors and publishers are harassed, attacked, detained and even murdered”. – Kay Steiger. (Photos by Vincent Bousserez/Benoit Tessier/Reuters/Reporters Without Borders)
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- An Animal Shelter Dressed Dogs in Human Clothes to Help Them Find Homes
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Makeup Artist Keeps Transforming Herself Into Characters And Celebrities
- Grotesque, Occult, and Bizarre Images by William Mortensen, the Forgotten Hollywood Photographer
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- 80’s Young Fashion: Color Photos Of US Teen Girls During The 1980s
- Seriously, 2022 Social Justice Kittens Calendar Is Here!
- This South Korean Artist’s Structural Drawings Will Help You Improve Your Drawing Skills
- The Best Winning Photos Of Close-Up Photographer Of The Year 2021
- This Artist Makes Alternative Posters For Horror Films And TV Series In The Form Of Clay Sculptures