Chic And Sexy Pre-Revolution Fashions Of Iran
(L) Actrees Marjan, (R) Iranian pop star Arghavan who fled the country in 1979. As of late, she has been involved in attempts to bring music back to Iran, at the risk of imprisonment.
Even as a kid in the 1970s I was well aware of The Iranian Revolution. It was a top headline for quite some time because its consequences were so profound. The pro-Western Shah was overthrown and replaced with the rabidly anti-Western Ayatollah Khomeini. Any Western cultural influences were rejected overnight in favor of a hard-line Islamic state. Matters between the West and Iran got even worse when the dethroned Shah fled to the US, and the Iranians responded by holding diplomats hostage. Almost thirty years later, things haven’t changed much.
Let’s have a look at the fashions before the revolution. Now, Iranian women have to fight for the right to be able to expose hair under their headscarves. But in the 60s and early to mid-1970s it was quite a different story…
(L) Miss Teen World Finalists – 1968 . (R) Sholeh Zand – Miss Iran 1969
Googoosh was a popular singer in Iran, and a favorite of the Shah. She happened to be in Los Angeles at the time of the revolution. She returned home to find that she was no longer allowed to perform and all her material was banned
Ettelaat Banovan magazine covers from the 1960s
Sexy actress Sepideh – pictured above and below
Miss Teen Iran Finalists 1969
Miss Iran finalists from 1972 and 1973
(L) Miss Iran finalists 1966, (R) Iran Air flight attendants
A couple Iranian celebs: Homa Roosta and Forouzan
Miss Iran 1978 finalists. This would be the last pageant – there would be no Miss Iran 1979 or onward.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- This Guy Was Bullied In School For Being Gay, Now His Cosplay Is Taking Over Instagram
- Dutch Engineering Student Created Incredible Exoskeletal Mechanical Dinosaur Costume
- 45 Glamorous Photos Of Young Sophie Marceau In The 1980s
- Russian Craftsmen Built This Steampunk Trike Inspired By “Joseph Stalin” Locomotive
- Ramen Guitar: Russian Craftsmen Builds A Tasty Guitar Out Of Instant Ramen Noodles
- Misspelled Tattoos: Permanent And Hilarious
- Finally, A Decent Breaking Bad Walter White And Jessie Pinkman Car Sunshade
- People Are Doodling On Snake Pics And The New Scenarios Are Hilarious
- Ultimate Infill: A Skinny Building Amidst The Ginza Alley In Japan
- What Do You Know About The RIGHT Phone Cases?