Photographer Documented More Than 1,000 Intricate Afro Hairstyles In Nigeria During The 1960s And 1970s
Widely regarded as one of the greatest 20th century African photographers, J.D. Okhai Ojeikere earned international acclaim through his Hairstyle series; a personal project begun in 1968, which grew to encompass 1,000 photographs spanning 40 years.
Ojeikere elevates hair design from fashion to a fine art form through celebrating their intricate patterns, sculptural qualities, and abstraction. In contrast to the variety of complex hairstyles represented, Ojeikere’s photography uses a consistent and understated visual language. In these literally back-to-front portraits, softly-lit hairstyles occupy the majority of the composition without distraction from props or backdrops.
“To watch a ‘hair artist’ going through his precise gestures, like an artist making a sculpture, is fascinating,” Mr. Ojeikere once said. “Hairstyles are an art form.”
The hairstyles Ojeikere presents range from being purely decorative to symbols with precise meanings. Some designs are paraded on social occasions or celebrations such as weddings or birthdays, whilst other styles are worn casually on a regular basis. Hairstyles can be reflective of social status and royalty may have unique family hairstyles passed down through generations. To Ojeikere, the hairstyles celebrate uniqueness and reflect the diversity of cultural traditions within Nigeria.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- Artist Hilariously Trolls Celebrities With His Ridiculous Fan Art
- Artist Jim ‘ll Paint It Makes Crazy Pictures On Request Using Microsoft Paint
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Haunting Photos That Will Fill Your Dreams For Days
- Marvelous Female Portrait Photography By Onur Alagöz
- Spectacular Winners Of The World Press Photo Award 2018
- Exploring Creative Intimacy In Photographer Chill’s NSFW Shots
- Wonderful Photos Capture The Beach Lives Of North Carolina In The Summer Of 1975
- Catzillas: Giant Cats In Urban Landscapes
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- NSFW Outrageous Pop Culture Graphic Designs That Will Undoubtedly Amuse You
- Marvelous Moody Portrait Photography By Sonia Neisha
- From Game Of Thrones To Harry Potter: Film And TV Library Designs Give Fans Insight Into Iconic Scene
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- “Erotic Mehndi”: The Incredible Henna Art By Mary Ginkas