NFT Art: Sophia the Robot ‘Self-Portrait’ Sells for Almost $700K
Sophia is a robot of many talents — she speaks, jokes, sings and even makes art. In March, she caused a stir in the art world when a digital work she created as part of a collaboration was sold at an auction for $688,888 in the form of NFT.
David Hanson, CEO of Hong Kong-based Hanson Robotics and Sophia’s creator, has been developing robots for the past two and a half decades. He believes realistic-looking robots can connect with people and assist in industries such as healthcare and education.
Sophia is the most famous robot creation from Hanson Robotics, with the ability to mimic facial expressions, hold conversations and recognize people. In 2017, she was granted Saudi Arabian citizenship, becoming the world’s first robot citizen.
Sophia collaborated with Italian artist Andrea Bonaceto, who drew portraits of Sophia. Sophia then processed his work via neural networks and proceeded to create a digital artwork of her own.
The digital work that sold for $688,888 is titled “Sophia Instantiation”, and is a 12-second video file which shows Bonaceto’s portrait evolving into Sophia’s digital painting. It is accompanied by the physical artwork painted by Sophia.
The buyer, a digital artwork collector and artist known as 888 with the Twitter handle @Crypto888crypto, later sent Sophia a photo of his painted arm. The robot then processed that, adding that image to her knowledge and painted more strokes on top of her original piece.
In a tweet on Sophia’s account, the work was described as the first NFT collaboration between an “AI, a mechanical collective being and an artist-collector.”
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Beautiful Photos of Jane Birkin at Home Taken by Jean-Claude Deutsch in 1971
- 18 Astoundingly Accurate Diagrams Showing What It’s Really Like To Be An Introvert
- Amazing Snapshots Capture Street Life in New York City From the Mid-1930s to the End of the 1940s
- Hilarious Dictionary of Finnish Language And Culture
- Photographer Amanda Jones Shows A Dog’s Love Is Timeless
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- How Male Beauty Standards Have Changed Over 100 Years
- Beautiful Portraits of Highland Park High School Teenage Girls, 1947
- Accidentally Brilliant Shots By Edas Won
- Stunning Winners Of The One Eyeland World’s Top Wedding Photographers 2021