As the 100th anniversary of the sinking of Titanic approaches — it struck an iceberg on April 15, 1912 — a plethora of memorials and events are planned. There are Titanic cruises that will follow the path of the ill-fated ocean liner; an exhibition at the National Geographic Museum in Washington; a touring artifact exhibit in the U.S.; the re-release of James Cameron’s blockbuster “Titanic” in 3D; an auction of items recovered from the sunken ship; a new Sea City museum in the English port of Southampton, where Titanic picked up passengers and began its final voyage; and the opening of the world’s largest “Titanic experience” in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
A poster advertises the RMS Titanic’s maiden voyage. (The New York Times) Continue reading »
The 100th anniversary edition of the South Florida Fair is being celebrated sort of like a wedding. It seems a stretch, but hear us out: There’s something old, as in some of the most popular, tried-and-true returning favorites that the festival, running from January 13-29 at the South Florida Fairgrounds, has to offer, plus special things to commemorate the fair’s big birthday.
Fairgoers enjoy the midway during Thursday’s soft opening of the 2012 South Florida Fair. (Allen Eyestone/The Palm Beach Post) Continue reading »
Old photographs, reconstructed suites, letters from victims and many original artifacts from the sunken Titanic are on display at Hans Christian Andersen Castle of Tivoli Gardens amusement park in Copenhagen. “Titanic – The Exhibition” was opened to visitors in Denmark on April 10, 2011 and will run until Dec. 30.
A 1912 advert for the Titanic. (© Claes-Göran Wetterholms) Continue reading »
- Wonderland Abandoned: The Swift Fall of “Europe’s Biggest Theme Park”
- This Brilliant Dad Shoots Classic Pictures Of His Daughter Inspired From Old Oil-Paintings
- Spectacular Winning Photos of The Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2021
- Finally, The 2022 Fat Cat Art Calendar Is Here!
- These Illustrations Show What’s Wrong With The Modern Society
- Portraits of Swiss “Halbstarken” Girls With Very Big Hair in the 1950s and 1960s
- Painfully True Facts About Our Lives
- Finally, “Squid Game” Costumes For Your Pets
- The Story Behind John Lennon’s Psychedelic Rolls-Royce Phantom V
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s