By the early 1920s, millions of orphaned and abandoned children, collectively described in Russian as besprizornye, besprizorniki (literally “unattended”) crowded cities, towns, and villages across the new Soviet state. By 1922, World War I, Russian Revolution, and Civil War had resulted in the loss of at least 16 million lives within the Soviet Union’s borders, and severed contact between millions of children and their parents. At this time, Bolshevik authorities were faced with an estimated seven million homeless youths.
The great Volga famine of 1921–1922 accounted for some five million deaths and played a huge role in depriving children of their homes. Vast numbers of children were deserted, many abandoning their families themselves, and many parents actively abandoning their children. Continue reading »
Working is good, but working smart is better! Industrial era brought a lot of good to world, but also it was a major headache to doctors and medical staff! Machines, steam, electricity, hot iron, sharp tools, all that was a major threat for the “new era” workers. The human factor was usually the main cause for these accidents and even fatalities in industrial complexes. This is why authorities of those times tried to avoid future casualties and learn people how to behave at work. Continue reading »
We tend to forget how horrific World War II was for the Soviet Union. Here’s a fascinating collection of Soviet War paintings. Continue reading »
The TLDR is that London-based organisation 28 Too Many has just released some provocative imagery tackling the subject of FGM in an original and shocking new campaign to #endFGM. The campaign “It Happens Here” (by Ogilvy) features six designs revealing the mutilated flags of European countries where Female Genital Mutilation is prevalent. It communicates a powerful message: that FGM happens in places you wouldn’t expect.
Continue reading »
- Japanese Photographer Releases Book Of Breasts And Cats
- Incredible Futuristic-Looking 1939 Duesenberg Coupe Simone Midnight Ghost
- Paul Brockman’s Collection Of 55,000 Dresses Bought For His Wife
- Awesome Photos of Stephen King Posing With His Beloved Cats From the 1980s
- This German Grandma Spends 30 Thousand Euros To Tattoo Her Whole Body
- “40p Static Movie – Bullet Speed”: Insane Action Photoshoot by Chen Zhun for FHM China
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Russian Street Artist Shows Off His Amazing Calligraphy Artwork On The Local Tram
- The Incredible Photo-Realistic Portrait Tattoos of Oleg Shepelenko
- ‘Vertical Forest’ in Chinese Residential Complex Becomes Mosquito-Infested Jungle