The sea of Faroe Islands in north of Europe turned red with the blood of hundreds of whales killed by the inhabitants, as a part of their annual whale hunting culture. Every year the islanders catch and slaughter pilot whales (Globicephala melaena) during the traditional whale hunt known as ‘Grindadrap’. Being an autonomous province of Denmark, where whaling is banned, the Faroe Islands’ laws allow the mass slaughter of pilot whales, beaked whales and dolphins to observe the annual tradition.
“It is unacceptable for the Faroe Islands to preserve separate laws that allow inhabitants to continue the whale slaughter,” PETA mentions in its action alert “Stop the Bloody Whale Slaughter” urging government to stop the massacre.
Inhabitants of Faroe Islands catch and slaughter pilot whales (Globicephala melaena) during the traditional ‘Grindadrap’ (whale hunting in Faroese) near the capital Torshavn, November 22, 2011. (REUTERS/Andrija Ilic) Continue reading »
Jake Adams, an exhibit maintenance supervisor for the American Museum of Natural History, cleans a 94-foot blue whale model at the museum in New York September 7, 2011. The model, based on a female blue whale found in 1925, was first displayed in 1969. The model, the largest of its kind of the largest creature that has ever lived on Earth, is sculpted from fiberglass and polyurethane and weighs 21,000 pounds. (REUTERS/Eric Thayer)
Photo of the Day: Spectacular Photos of World’s Largest Fish Whale Sharks Seen Almost Swallowing Dive
A diver was almost swallowed by a whale shark while he was staring into the mammoth jaws of the largest fish in the world that feed mainly on plankton. The breathtaking photograph was captured by photographer Mauricio Handler in the waters of Mujeres Island in Mexico. (Mauricio Handler/handlerphoto) Zoom.
Two boys look at the body of a humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) at Toluca beach, 50 km south from San Salvador, El Salvador on July 4. (Jose Cabezas / AFP – Getty Images). Click to zoom.
- “Cock And Balls”: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- “Float Around”: Photos From Nirvana’s Underwater “Nevermind” Shoot
- Here Are The Most Interesting Things This Geologist Found On Google Earth
- These Dull Passport Photos Are Hiding Hilarious Secrets
- Hungarian Graphic Design Student Barbara Bernat Redesigns the Euro
- An Artist Brilliantly Illustrates The Truth Behind Creative Jobs
- 35 Examples Of Incredibly Bad Design
- Lizzy Gadd’s Photography Truly Shows The Difference Between A “Selfie” And A Self-Portrait
- Faces Of M’era Luna, The World’s Biggest Goth And Steampunk Festival
- Artist Illustrates Honest Feelings That We Keep To Ourselves In 22 Candy Heart Comics