Amazing Pictures Show Dolphins, Blue Marlin And Gannets Feasting On Sardines During Annual Migration Of Millions Of Fish
It is a visual spectacle under the sea which is a joy to behold – for everyone apart from the sardines. These spectacular images capture dolphins, gannets and blue marlin take advantage of the annual ‘Sardine Run’, when millions of fish migrate from the southern tip of South Africa north to warmer waters in the summer. The presence of the fish draws huge numbers of predators to feast on the underwater buffet, which sees dolphins ‘herd’ the sardines into smaller families, known as ‘bait balls’.
In terms of biomass the run is equal to east Africa’s world-famous great wildebeest stampede, which sees over two million of the animals head from the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania to the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya in search of more verdant pastures. The shoal can be nine miles long, 130 feet deep and two miles wide – so big that it can be seen from space.
A dolphin dives into a bait ball of sardines in Mdumbi, South Africa during the annual ‘Sardine Run’ migration. (Photo by Daniel Botelho/Barcroft/The Daily Mail) Continue reading »
A gannet grabs a fish by its beak, 2014, in Shetland, Scotland. Hundreds of gannets crash into the sea in search of food – leaving a trail of air bubbles in their wake. Richard Shucksmith on the Shetland Isles, Scotland captured the remarkable scene as he took a boat to feed the large colony of seabirds that nested on the cliffs. The photographer has taken images of the gannets every summer for the last three years as the birds gather on the cliffs to breed. Continue reading »
- Milo Manara Comic Art You’ve Probably Never Seen
- Fascinating Nostalgic Black and White Photos of Daily Life in Michigan in 1970s and ’80s
- A Beautiful Photo Series of Audi F103
- How To Look Smart In Zoom Meetings, an Illustrated Guide by Sarah Cooper
- The Cute Anime Girls by Illustrator Ryota
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- “I Paint Big B”: The Fantasy Beauties of Zumi
- Insidious Goblins, Cute Elves, and Magic: The Gathering Cards – Fantasy Art by Jesper Ejsing
- Portraits of Lovely Ladies Featured on the Covers of Radio Control Modeler Magazines From the 1970s and 1980s
- Heroic and Fantasy Pin-Up Female Portraits by Kyu Yong Eom