Minnesota has deployed its largest solar PV array so far and it sits atop IKEA in Bloomington. The 142,000 square foot, 1,014 kW system, was built with 4,316 panels and will produce approximately 1.2 million kWh of clean power annually – the equivalent of reducing 801 tons of carbon dioxide. IKEA worked with Xcel Energy and SoCore Energy for the development, design and installation of the customized solar power system.
The 1-megawatt system is the largest solar array in Minnesota. It generates the equivalent of the power needed by 100 homes, or roughly the output of one small wind turbine. The Bloomington store marks the 31st U.S. solar project for Ikea, with eight more locations in development. The company said it has invested $590 million in renewable energy projects around the world. Continue reading »
A solar flare erupts on the Sun’s northeastern hemisphere. Space weather officials say the strongest solar storm in more than six years is already bombarding Earth with radiation with more to come. It’s mostly an issue for astronauts’ health and satellite disruptions, and it can also cause communication problems for airplanes that go over the poles. (NASA/Associated Press) Click image to zoom.
The MS Turanor PlanetSolar yacht arrives in Singapore for a stop on its global tour on October 12. PlanetSolar is the largest solar powered boat in the world and hopes to be the first to circumnavigate the world’s oceans in a 22,000 mile two-year odyssey. (Stephen Morrison / EPA) Continue reading »
Solar blasts of energy from the sun began reaching the Earth on Friday and could disrupt some communications, according to scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Storms are brewing some 93 million miles away and three solar flares erupted on the sun starting Tuesday, touching earth’s magnetic field on Friday in the form of fast-moving “solar wind” and is blowing by the Earth. (NASA / NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center / IBITimes) Continue reading »
- Photographer Asked 16 Artists To Draw His Portrait Photos In Their Own Style, And The Result Is Fabulous!
- Beautiful ‘Then And Now’ Pictures Of Women From London’s ’80s Subcultures
- “Porn Fashions”: Obscenely Tasteless Apparel From 1980s Adult Magazines
- Artist Imagines Famous Cartoon Characters With Human Bodies And The Result Is Bizarre
- 1939 Pontiac Plexiglas “Ghost Car”: The First Full-Sized “See-Thru” Car Ever Made In America
- Vintage Photographs Of People Posing With Job Hunting Signs On The Streets During The Great Depression
- Maggie Out: Striking And Depressive Photographs Captured Everyday Life In Glasgow In 1980
- Artist Creates Realistic Life-Sized Female Sculptures Inspired By The Graceful Beauty Of Renaissance Art
- This Teen Spent 400 Hours Creating A COVID-Themed Prom Dress Using Duct Tape
- Breathtaking Aerial Shots Of Barcelona, Revealing The City’s Symmetry