These pictures were bought by EspressoBuzz at an estate sale, and later scanned. Apparently, they all date from the 1944 year. Photos by Elmer Alfred Bishop.
“From Kiska to Kavieng, the old “QUEEN” has blasted the Japs. A class of battleship which is too slow to keep up with the latest fast “Type of” carriers is now a vital component of the most modrn, typed warefare, – amphibious ope rations, such as the taking and occupying of Guam, at which she is here shown firing. For the necessary close-in slugging and for her supporting call-fire, she cant be beat. And for the coordination and nerve to get in there and do it, the QUEEN’S CREW can’t be beat either. We gripe because it’s such a privilege it’s become a habit. at one time, we called her The Virgin Queen. That was only a little over a long year ago. nobody so insults her now. And there would be some amphibious fun if we should overhear any ill-adives insinuations”.
Continue reading »
- Beautiful Photos of Jane Birkin at Home Taken by Jean-Claude Deutsch in 1971
- French Artist Creates Illustrations That Challenge Society’s Standards For Women
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Photographer Captures Couples Who Switch Outfits, and the Results Are Hilarious
- Photographer Amanda Jones Shows A Dog’s Love Is Timeless
- This Elderly German Couple Steals The Show Every Time They Go Out
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Space Colony Art from the 1970s
- Hilarious Dictionary of Finnish Language And Culture
- Artist Illustrates The Sad Reality Of Animal Cruelty And Shows How Factory Farming Harms Our Planet