Trees grow in the shape of chairs in the garden of Austrian artist Bernhard Schmid in Lassnitzhoehe, Styria province, Austria, May 5, 2015. Schmid creates chairs naturally grown from one single piece of either maple, hazelnut or hornbeam wood by letting the trees grow into their final design over some 20 years. No nails, screws or glue is used in the process. (Photo by Heinz-Peter Bader/Reuters)
Continue reading »
A burger made from cultured beef, which has been developed by Professor Mark Post of Maastricht University in the Netherlands (pictured) is shown to the media during a press conference on August 5, 2013 in London, England. The in-vitro burger, cultured from cattle stem cells, the first example of what its creator says could provide an answer to global food shortages and help combat climate change, was fried in a pan and tasted by two volunteers. The burger is the result of years of research by Dutch scientist Mark Post, a vascular biologist at the University of Maastricht, who is working to show how meat grown in petri dishes might one day be a true alternative to meat from livestock.The meat in the burger has been made by knitting together around 20,000 strands of protein that has been cultured from cattle stem cells in Post’s lab.
PETA, the animal rights organization has already voiced its support for the lab-meat initiative. “Instead of the millions and billions of animals being slaughtered now, we could just clone a few cells to make burgers or chops,” said Ingrid Newkirk, PETA president and co-founder, in a statement. Post said his method would require only a stem cell contribution from animals, which could then be used to create 20,000 tons of cultured beef.
Photos by David Parry / Getty Images. Continue reading »
The image of Marilyn Monroe is made from nine rice species with seven different colors has popped up on a rice filed in Inakadatemura, Aomori prefecture, northern Japan. (AP/Daily Mail) Continue reading »
- “Bikes, Broads, Beer, and Boogie”: The Great Collection of Biker Magazines from the 1980s
- Very Sharply Defined Rare White Curtain Auroras Seen Over Finland
- The 3D Artist Inward Brings To Light Sublime Cyberpunk Worlds
- The Cars That Money Can’t Buy: 1953-1955 Alfa Romeo B.A.T. Concepts
- Photographer Captures The Unique And Amazing People Of The New York Subway
- Playful Pictures of Marilyn Monroe Having Breakfast in Bed, 1953
- “Selfish Pigs” Cartoons Show Annoying Things People Do
- The Dark Pen and Ink Drawings of Richey Beckett
- 31 Stunning Black And White Photos Of Europe In The Fifties Through A Soldier‘s Lens
- Fumetti: The Collection of Finest Examples of Sleazy Lowbrow Art the World Has Ever Known