At the height of the Second World War, in April 1943, LIFE photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt came to Penn Station, NYC and captured the sorrowful farewell scenes between young soldiers and their families. These forlorn figures, who were bidding goodbyes, seemed to anxiously fear that they might never have any chance to reunite with their loved ones after this departure. Continue reading »
There’s something eerily beautiful about abandoned places – they look surprisingly calm yet still manage to make you feel as if someone’s watching you. Perhaps this feeling is what attracts urban explorers to the abandoned stretch of Route 61 in Pennsylvania. That, and the fact that the road is almost completely covered in graffiti, making it look like a colorful river flowing through the Pennsylvanian forests. Continue reading »
Jessie Smith left her home in South Carolina before the First World War and spent the next two decades working as a prostitute in New Castle. Her mug shot was taken on 22 February, 1932, after she stole a client’s pocketbook.
When the police department of the once-prosperous small town of New Castle, Pennsylvania, threw out thousands of mid-century mug shots in the late 1990s, a few hundred were saved from destruction by one police officer. The pictures ended up scattered across the world after he sold themon ebay. Continue reading »
This is the scene along Kistler Road in Heidelberg Township on a fall day. Fall scenes from the northern Lehigh County area on Wednesday, October 15, 2014. (Donna Fisher/The Morning Call) Continue reading »
Jill Shapiro takes photographs of the falling snow at a park in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania. A classic nor’easter is moving along the East Coast and is expected to dump anywhere from a dusting of snow to about 10 inches throughout the region starting Saturday, a decidedly unseasonal date for a type of storm more associated with midwinter. (Gene J. Puskar/Associated Press) Click image to zoom.
- Beautiful Photos of Jane Birkin at Home Taken by Jean-Claude Deutsch in 1971
- This Elderly German Couple Steals The Show Every Time They Go Out
- French Artist Creates Illustrations That Challenge Society’s Standards For Women
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Photographer Captures Couples Who Switch Outfits, and the Results Are Hilarious
- Space Colony Art from the 1970s
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Meet Zach Cooley, A “Moon Chaser” Who Uses Camera Tricks To Make The Moon Look Really Huge
- Artist Illustrates The Sad Reality Of Animal Cruelty And Shows How Factory Farming Harms Our Planet
- “Suburbia”: The Melancholic and Mythological Artworks by Carlos Barahona Possollo