This Graffiti-Covered Abandoned Highway In Pennsylvania Looks Like A Scene From A Horror Movie
There’s something eerily beautiful about abandoned places – they look surprisingly calm yet still manage to make you feel as if someone’s watching you. Perhaps this feeling is what attracts urban explorers to the abandoned stretch of Route 61 in Pennsylvania. That, and the fact that the road is almost completely covered in graffiti, making it look like a colorful river flowing through the Pennsylvanian forests.
Nicknamed the Graffiti Highway, this stretch of road is located about two and a half hours northwest of Philadelphia. The story that lead to the road’s abandonment began during Memorial Day preparations back in 1962.
The officials of a nearby town named Centralia decided to burn the excess amount of trash before the Memorial Day Parade. However, by doing so, they accidentally ignited a live coal vein located underneath the town. This lead to major fires and eventually to the town’s demise.
Even though firefighters tried to extinguish the fires, they kept on coming back so by the mid-80s, the government relocated as many residents as they could. It cost over $42 million to relocate over a thousand people and demolish 500 buildings.
Centralia slowly started to become a ghost town with barely any residents remaining. Sometimes people would wander to the town and leave graffiti markings on the abandoned road.
After the movie “Silent Hill” was released in 2006, Centralia caught everyone’s eye once again. Soon enough, more and more urban explorers began flowing to the town, leaving graffiti markings on the road as they left. By 2010, nearly all of the road was covered in paint, leading to it being nicknamed The Graffiti Highway.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Amazing Behind the Scenes Photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, 1984
- This Artist Draws Pictures to Show That Everything Has a Flip Side
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Sweet Comics By Luong Thuy Show What Being In A Relationship Is Like
- The Wonder Of Illustrating Perpetual Movement in Space From A 1875 Astronomy Book
- Slinningsbålet: The Battle For The Biggest Bonfire In The World
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of Minimalist Photography Awards 2021
- Candid Photographs Captured Prostitution Scenes in Paris in 1966
- Absolutely Superb Ground Meat Sculptures by Kieran Gormley
- Stunning Winning Photos Of Wellcome Photography Prize 2021