There are plenty of picture-perfect spots in New Zealand, but none quite as Instagram-worthy as Baldwin Street in Dunedin, also known as the steepest street in the world. The street is only 350 meters long, but for every 2.86 horizontal meters, there is a rise of one meter. In other words, though the street itself is less than a quarter mile long, for every ~9 horizontal feet you walk, you’re climbing about three feet. Photos of the street are mind bending, especially when you look at the houses that are built right into the hill. Continue reading »
As the 100th anniversary of the sinking of Titanic approaches — it struck an iceberg on April 15, 1912 — a plethora of memorials and events are planned. There are Titanic cruises that will follow the path of the ill-fated ocean liner; an exhibition at the National Geographic Museum in Washington; a touring artifact exhibit in the U.S.; the re-release of James Cameron’s blockbuster “Titanic” in 3D; an auction of items recovered from the sunken ship; a new Sea City museum in the English port of Southampton, where Titanic picked up passengers and began its final voyage; and the opening of the world’s largest “Titanic experience” in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
A poster advertises the RMS Titanic’s maiden voyage. (The New York Times) Continue reading »
In this photo provided by the Indian Ministry of Defense shows a Seaking helicopter from the Indian Navy hovering over of the sinking ship MV Rak Carrier off the coast of Mumbai on August 4, 2011. The Panama-flagged MV Rak Carrier, a 220-meter (722-feet) long vessel transporting 60,000 tonnes of coal from Indonesia to India, sank off the coast of Mumbai after its 30-strong crew were rescued when it began taking on water in stormy seas. The MV Rak Carrier went down about 22 nautical miles from India’s financial and entertainment capital, just hours after it made an emergency distress call. (MINISTRY OF DEFENCE/AFP/Getty Images) Click image to zoom.
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Zero Fucks Coins Allow You To Literally Give Zero Fucks
- Night And Day: Striking Street Photography In Japan By James Takumi Shyegun
- Japan’s First Female Photojournalist Is Still Shooting At The Age Of 101
- People Are Posting ‘Illegal’ Lego Building Techniques And They Are Actually Genius
- Artist Redesignes Celebrities, Cartoon And Comic Characters To Look More “Serious”
- “Beauty Comes In All Sizes!”: Photoshop Artist Jay Tee Changes The Obtuse Point Of View About Beauty Today One Pound At A Time
- These Funnily Terrible Portraits Of Famous People Drawn By This ‘Artist’ Are Awfully ‘Accurate’
- Photographer Captures Socialist Architecture Of North Korea In Pastel Aesthetic
- This Makeup Artist Doesn’t Use Photoshop, But Makes Women Look Way Younger And Happier