According to Rachel Austin: “I’m Rachel Austin, a textile artist from The Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.
Greatly inspired by nature and my beautiful surroundings, I love the challenge of working out how to cut fabric pieces, which when sewn together and stuffed, form realistic-looking animals. I mainly use unwanted faux fur fabric and hand sew it into tactile pieces of art. So far I’ve created animals from little birds to life-size badgers! I hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I enjoy making them.” Continue reading »
Designer Ammar Kalo has found a beautiful new use for discarded textiles in fabrications, a series of resin stools topped with colorful pieces of fabric. After the fabric is carefully arranged by hand, Kalo traps the pieces of cloth in resin that’s cured until solid. The low-tech production requires few raw materials. Continue reading »
A four-metre-long woven textile made from the silk of more than a million female Golden Orb spiders collected from the highlands of Madagascar is on display at the Victoria & Albert (V&A) Museum in London. The hand-woven brocaded textile, which is on display at the museum till June 5, 2012, is naturally golden in colour and took over four years to create.
It will be shown together with a new golden cape, currently being woven and embroidered in Madagascar, which will go on public display for the very first time at the V&A. The clothes have reportedly been made by Englishman Simon Peers, who lives in Madagascar, and American Nicholas Godley, and are the only large textiles in the world to have been made from spider silk.
Yellow woven spider silk cape. Continue reading »
- Honest Portraits: Unvarnished Russia In Emotional Black & White Photographs By Oleg Videnin
- Rare Photos Of Hachiko, The World’s Most Loyal Dog
- Stunning Photographs From The Inside Of Russia’s Largest Bitcoin Mine
- Photographer Joseph Philippe Bevillard Captured The Secret Lives Of Irish Travellers Revealed In Intimate Portraits
- Why So Many Medieval Manuscripts Depict Violent Rabbits?
- Japan’s First Female Photojournalist Is Still Shooting At The Age Of 101
- Meanwhile In “Paris Fashion Week”… Have Fashion Designers Gone Insane?
- This Instagram Account Collects The Worst Interior Designs Ideas
- 20 Strange & Unusual Pics From The Early 20th Century That You May No Longer See Today
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2019 British Ecological Society Photography Competition