Written as a novel by L. Frank Baum in 1900, the Wizard of Oz became an acclaimed Technicolor film in 1939. The success of that film led to the exploration of prequels and sequels desperately seeking the fame and recognition that the orignal musical film garnered. Perhaps the boldest iteration was the recreation of the Land of Oz as a theme park in North Carolina’s Beech Mountains. Photographer Johnny Joo visited the site and photographed the ruins, full of wild roots and thick fog. His eerie portaits capture a magical place that has gradually become the perfect setting for your worst nightmares. Continue reading »
Source: David Rush
Nestled in scenic Beech Mountain, North Carolina rests an abandoned “The Wizard Of Oz” theme park. Land Of Oz was once a booming business hosting 20,000 people on its opening day. The park, which opened in 1970, was hit with tragedy that tarnished its initial success.
After the death of its original owner right before opening and a mysterious fire in 1975, Land of Oz closed its doors in 1980. Continue reading »
Virginia Tech professor Dennis Hong has made an international name for himself — and Tech — by inventing humanoid robots whose abilities defy imagination.
Hong, director of Tech’s Robotics and Mechanisms Laboratory, squares off against CHARLI-2 on the field. Designing a robot that can find and kick a soccer ball is believed to be the ultimate challenge in robot design. (Dustin Fenstermacher / FOR THE WASHINGTON POST) Continue reading »
- This Elderly German Couple Steals The Show Every Time They Go Out
- Meet Amina Ependieva – A Chechen Girl Who Is Admired For Her Unusual Beauty
- Before Tesla, There Was Anadol, Legendary Turkish Dune Buggy
- Vintage, Rare, Candid, Funny, Beautiful, Weird And Awesome Celebrity Photos
- Olympus Mons – The Largest Volcano in The Solar System
- “Pathologic”: Imaginative, Bizarre and Otherworldy Paintings of Peter Ferguson
- These Beautiful 16th Century Watercolors Illustrate the History of Comets And Meteors
- These Are the World’s Oldest Masks Ever Discovered, And Are Estimated to Be 9000 Years Old
- A McDonald’s in New Zealand Lets Diners Eat Inside a Decommissioned Airplane
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers