These pictures were bought by EspressoBuzz at an estate sale, and later scanned. Apparently, they all date from the 1944 year. Photos by Elmer Alfred Bishop.
“From Kiska to Kavieng, the old “QUEEN” has blasted the Japs. A class of battleship which is too slow to keep up with the latest fast “Type of” carriers is now a vital component of the most modrn, typed warefare, – amphibious ope rations, such as the taking and occupying of Guam, at which she is here shown firing. For the necessary close-in slugging and for her supporting call-fire, she cant be beat. And for the coordination and nerve to get in there and do it, the QUEEN’S CREW can’t be beat either. We gripe because it’s such a privilege it’s become a habit. at one time, we called her The Virgin Queen. That was only a little over a long year ago. nobody so insults her now. And there would be some amphibious fun if we should overhear any ill-adives insinuations”.
Continue reading »
As the London 2012 Olympic Games draw closer, luxury brands are competing with each other in order to bag the biggest athletes to feature in their campaigns.
Joining the race is the British luxury brand Alfred Dunhill, which has signed three legendary Olympian stars to feature in their Spring/Summer 2012 Voice campaign. The maker of men’s luxury leather goods, timepieces, clothing and fragrances has announced that British Olympian Sir Matthew Pinsent, double Olympic gold medal sailing champion Iain Percy and trail-blazing young Olympic hopeful Louis Smith will be the new face of their campaign.
Sir Matthew Pinsent, Olympic rower. Continue reading »
- 50 Times People Took A Photograph And Realized It’s “Accidental Renaissance”
- This Guy Rates Benches All Around The UK And The Reviews Are Spot-On
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- Japanese Guy Absolutely Nails Anime Girl Cosplay, from Evangelion to Sailor Moon
- Medieval Visions of Hell, Satan, Demons And Cabbalistic Signs From A 1775 Compendium Of Horrors
- This Man Photoshops Himself Into Series Of Hilarious Scenarios With Celebrities
- Incredible Technologies From The Past That Just Look Odd Today
- Photographer Albert Dros Captures Beautiful Rural Landscapes of the Netherlands
- Photographer Documents Stay-At-Home Dads And Their Kids In Sweden
- “Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark”: Stunning Photos of Cassandra Peterson in the 1980s