Citizens of Ust-Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan, were shocked to see the new floor in a shopping center “Alem” in details. It was not hard to notice that the floor contained fragments of gravestones with portraits of the dead… Continue reading »
Till recently, the 17,000 square feet (1,580 square meters) Stony Island Savings & Loan Bank on Chicago’s South Side was just an old, abandoned construction. Built back in the 1920s, it has been vacant since the 1980s and has remained in a deteriorating state for all these years. Who could imagine that this decaying structure would soon become an amazing art center? Continue reading »
On the edge of the Arctic Circle, where the River Lule meets the Gulf of Bothnia, lies a very important building. Facebook’s newest data center – in Luleå, Sweden – is now handling live traffic from around the world. Facebook claims Luleå is likely to be one of the most efficient and sustainable data centers in the world. All the equipment inside is powered by locally generated hydro-electric energy. It is 100% renewable and they have been able to reduce the number of backup generators required at the site by more than 70%. Continue reading »
For 11 days every January, the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, becomes the focal point of the independent film world as established directors and stars mix with up-and-coming talent, while theatrical distributors prowl the festival looking for the next indie hit and film lovers just have a good time being the first audiences to see new movies.
Sundance also is a launch place for films that already have distributors, who show off their films hoping to build buzz among audiences and the legions of cinema journalists and bloggers who attend the festival.
And Sundance isn’t just about movies. Festival director John Cooper says organizers added more music to the 11-day festival this year to encourage relationships between independent filmmakers and musicians.
The Sundance Film Festival continues through January 29.
David Duchovny and Vera Farmiga from the film “Goats.” Continue reading »
Over a thousand protesters here in Denver marched from the state capitol to the Pepsi Center on Sunday in the first major demonstration of the Democratic National Convention. Organized by the group Recreate 68, the protest temporarily blocked access to the convention site before police ordered the crowd to disperse. Speakers at the rally included antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan, Green Party presidential nominee Cynthia McKinney, and Vietnam veteran and antiwar activist Ron Kovic. Continue reading »
- Photographer Spent 3 Weeks In Japan And Captured Cyberpunk And Noir Film Inspired Photographs
- “Natural Beauty” Photo Series Challenges Restricting Female Body Hair Standards
- Alice In Wonderland Re-Imagined With Japanese Artwork: Gorgeous Watercolor
- A Photographer Combines Portraits Of Family Members To Prove How Amazing Our Genes Are
- An Artist Pranked People By Leaving Life-Sized Airpods Stickers On The Ground All Over San Francisco
- This Is How Soviets Imagined 21st Century Will Look Like: The Soviet Eera Sci-Fi Mag That Wanted To Predict The Future
- Clever Minibikes Built Out of Welded Fenders From Vintage Volkswagen Beetles
- Craftsman Makes An Incredible Stained Glass Octopus Chandeliers
- A Street Artist Creates Giant Mural In A Maximum Security Prison In California
- Realistic And Scary 3D Versions Of Childhood Movie Characters And Various Objects By Brazilian Artist