Post-World War II America was ravenous for new cars and the Davis Divan featured aircraft-inspired styling details that captured imaginations. Sadly, only 13 were built and Davis’ company president, Glenn Gordon “Gary” Davis, spent two years at a “work farm” labor camp in Castaic, California for grand theft. Continue reading »
“My biggest fear is that I will become stagnant and stale so staying near the edge if not hanging over it is where I want to be most days.” says photographer Tim Davis about his work. Perhaps this is why he got so into underwater portraits–because so few people do them. Continue reading »
Carson Davis Brown’s “Mass” project puts site-specific, color-based installations in big box stores and other “places of mass” without permission. These visual disruptions take otherwise disparate objects and groups them into temporary sculptures. The project has taken the artist to stores across the U.S. A primary charge for the project is to make passers-by more aware of their environment by recontextualizing the items around them. Continue reading »
When The Guardian began posting pictures of a giant Lego Christmas tree being erected in London’s St. Pancras Station, the newspaper’s Flickr account inspired users to create 3D Lego pictures of 2011, giving “the year’s news” through a series of submissions done entirely in Lego blocks.
Encompassing everything from the pie-ing of Rubert Murdoch to Obama and his national security team in the war room, from the topical and silly to the powerful and transcendent, these artists created not just scenes but occasionally entire worlds within their Lego creations.
Prince William and Kate Middleton kiss on the balcony of Buckingham Palace following their royal wedding at Westminster Abbey. (allyhook/Twitter) Continue reading »
- Parked Cars Under Streetlamps In 1970s New York City
- This Retired Cabinet Maker Goes Viral For Making Broken And Weird Furniture That Belongs In Disney Movies
- The Superb Bizarre AR Artworks By Nikita Replyanski, A Technological Artist And Cyber Fashion Designer
- Amazing Vintage Photos Of Portuguese Women From The Azores Islands In Their Tradition Hooded Capes
- Vintage Photos Of People Wearing Masks During The 1918 Influenza Pandemic, One Of The Deadliest Natural Disasters In Human History
- The Everyday Struggles Of All Plus-Size Women Depicted By The Artist Gabriele Pennacchioli
- Amazing Vintage Photos That Show How Life Before AutoCAD Looked Like
- The Lost Corvettes: 36 Chevrolet Corvettes From NYC Barn Find To Be Raffled In Charity Sweepstakes
- Biochemist Elzbieta Kurowska Creates Stunning Liquid Biomorphic Structures
- Inside A 1947 Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, The Largest And Fastest Aircraft In Commercial Service