Postcards can offer a fascinating glimpse into eras that have long since passed. The Digital Collections of the New York Public Library (NYPL) has released a selection of postcards from Japan in the early 20th century. Comprising hand-colored photographs, these landscape snapshots represent the country—specifically the Tokyo and Yokohama regions—and the culture at a time when it was on the cusp of modernity. Many of the photographs are dated from the years 1907 through 1922. Continue reading »
Wrestling Komodo dragons, a shark-repellent surfboard and a concerned gorilla are among the images captured on camera by finalists in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2015 competition. The competition attracted over 42,000 entries from both professionals and amateurs from 96 countries.
The winning images will be announced on 13 October, and an exhibition of the 100 shortlisted and winning images opens on 16 October at the Natural History Museum in London. These 100 images will also be part of an international tour spanning six continents, allowing millions of people to marvel at the beauty and variety of the natural world.
IBTimesUK presents a first look at ten of the finalists. A full gallery of winners will be published as soon as they are announced.
Finalist, Amphibians & Reptiles: Komodo Judo by Andrey Gudkov, Russia. The fight was fast and unexpected. Andrey had been to Indonesia’s Komodo National Park many times before, hoping to witness a battle between male Komodo dragons – the largest lizards in the world, measuring up to 2.5 metres (8 feet) long. Continue reading »
- Beautiful Photos of the Lincoln Continental Mark V
- Fabulous Portrait Photos of Celebrities Taken by Patrick Lichfield
- Painfully True Facts About Our Lives
- Spectacular Winning Photos of 2021 Epson International Pano Awards
- Brazilian Artist Draws Realistic Portraits that Look Like Photographs
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Artists Combine Classical Paintings And Halloween Pop Culture
- Beautiful Photos of Brigitte Bardot During the Filming of “Les Femmes,” 1969
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- “UAZ Bukhanka”: Russia’s Most Legendary Off-Road Vechicle for Bizarre Tuning