As 2020 joined the pantheon of years pivotal in history, the nominees for the 64th annual World Press Photo Contest are a reflection of those remarkably difficult 12 months.
In rewarding professional photo journalists for the best images of visual journalism, whether entered as singles or stories, judges asses their accurate, fair, and visually compelling insights about our world.
“In an unprecedented year marked by the COVID-19 pandemic and social justice protests around the globe, the nominees share a diversity of interpretations and perspectives to these and other urgent issues such as the climate crisis, transgender people’s rights, and territorial conflicts,” explained the organization.
California Sea Lion Plays with Mask, Environment Nominee: A curious California sea lion swims towards a face mask at the Breakwater dive site in Monterey, California, on November 19. PHOTO: RALPH PACE, UNITED STATES – WORLD PRESS PHOTO Continue reading »
The 92nd Oscars is almost upon us, and it’s time for one of our favourite pre-event activities: checking out Olly Gibbs’ annual Oscars project. For the past seven years, Gibbs has taken each of the nominations for the Best Picture gong and encapsulated the essence of the movie on an Oscars statuette. Scroll down for a look at our favourites this year. Continue reading »
The World Press Photo Foundation has unveiled its global photojournalism prize nominees for 2019. Here are some of the finalists’ images, in categories from the environment to sport. The winners will be announced in April.
Photo of the year nominee: Akashinga – the Brave Ones, by Brent Stirton. Petronella Chigumbura, 30, a member of an all-female anti-poaching unit called Akashinga, undergoes stealth and concealment training in the Phundundu wildlife park, Zimbabwe. (Photo by Brent Stirton/Getty Images/World Press Photo 2019) Continue reading »
Richard Cabral poses for a portrait at the Television Academy’s 67th Emmy Awards Performers Nominee Reception at the Pacific Design Center on Saturday, September 19, 2015 in West Hollywood, Calif. (Photo by Casey Curry/Invision for the Television Academy/AP Images)
Continue reading »
- Beautiful Photos of the Lincoln Continental Mark V
- This Brilliant Dad Shoots Classic Pictures Of His Daughter Inspired From Old Oil-Paintings
- Finally, The 2022 Fat Cat Art Calendar Is Here!
- Spectacular Winning Photos of The Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2021
- These Realistic Animal Paintings Show How We Neglect Them
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Richard Saunders Creates Giant Bushes In The Shape Of His Deceased Cat
- Portraits of Swiss “Halbstarken” Girls With Very Big Hair in the 1950s and 1960s
- Painfully True Facts About Our Lives
- Artist Sums Up Our Everyday Lives In These Humorous One-Panel Comics