Making a Zombie: A Step-by-Step Guide from the “Walking Dead” Makeup Team
1. The “Walking Dead” makeup team fits actor Kevin Galbraith with a bald cap and accentuate his high cheekbones to make them look sunken.
2. Next, Galbraith is fitted with rotten-looking, custom-made dentures that can fit under a prosthesis.
3. A custom-made, foam latex prosthesis extends from Galbraith’s forehead to his neck.
4. Makeup artists Kevin Wasner (far left) and Jake Garber glue on individual body wounds. “We had to do his entire upper body. It took 45 minutes,” Nicotero says. Zombie blood is a mixture of Karo syrup, red and yellow food coloring and caramel, plus a drop of detergent so it soaks through clothing.
5. Garber next fits the greasy, sparse zombie wig to the bald cap.
6. Zombies have no time to shave so Wasner adds some stubble and some disgusting dried blood around Galbraith’s mouth. “It’s black sludge in their veins,” says Nicotero.
7. The application of hand-painted white contact lenses is the final step of Galbraith’s transformation from working actor to frightening zombie. “The most inspiring part of what we’re doing is that you can have the same person sit in your chair 10 times and they won’t look like the same person when they walk out of the makeup trailer,” says Nicotero.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
More Inspiring Stories On Design You Trust:
- The Very Badass Digital Art By Liana Anatolevich
- Living La Dolce Vita: Vintage Photos Show How Idyllic Italy Was In The 1980s
- When Photos Looked Like Paintings: Dreamy Landscape Photographs Taken By Leonard Misonne
- The Electric State: Simon Stålenhag Comes A New Narrative Artbook About A Girl And Her Robot Traveling West In An Alternate 90s USA
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Stunning Digital Art By Nik Buzhan
- Head Back To The 80s With Chris Mcveigh’s LEGO Retro Desk Kits
- Couple Asks Internet To Photoshop Out Shirtless Guy from Engagement Photo, Regrets It Immediately
- Craziest Swimsuits To Hit The Beach This Summer
- Spanish Designer Fernando Abellanas Works In A Secret Studio Right Under The Bridge
- Polish Photographer Creates Amazing Slavic Pagan Themed Photoshoot And Proves Slavs Have Amazing Culture
- Artist Wil Hughes Shows How Pop Culture Icons Would Look In Real Life, And It Will Give You Nightmares
- “Secret Window, Secret Garden”: Dreamlike Photography By Shaina Sterrett
- Black and White Photos Of Teenage Gangs Of New York City In 1959
- This “Unspirational” Instagram Account Is For People Who Hate Inspirational Quotes
- Kids Will Be Kids! James Nathaniel Likes To Turn People Into Children By Making Their Heads Bigger.
- Funny Vintage Photos That Captured At Just the Right Time And The Right Angle
- Can You Spot Yourself In These Designer Stereotypes?
- Mercedes-Maybach Unveils The Super-Luxury Electric Car Of Tomorrow’s World
- “Hipsters In Stone”: Artist Léo Caillard Continues To Dress The Statues As Hipsters
- “Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?”: A CGI Master Made A New Artwork Every Day For 10 Years
- Human Characters Interact With Extra-Terrestrial Creatures And Dinosaurs – New Gucci Campaign Inspired By Vintage Sci-Fi
- Environment Activists Try To Break World Record With This Colossal 3D Body Painting Picture
- Art In The Shadows: Artist Damon Belanger Enlivens City With Serendipitous Paintwork
- Montana Photographer Miles Glynn’s Shots Of Buffalo, Wild Horses, And Sweeping Canyons Look Lifted From An Old Western Film