African Photographers Kureng Dapel And Rich Allela Bring An African Queen Back To Life
From the bowels of Kenya, a prophesy about British oppression had gone ahead. What also followed was that the savior would be a woman.
No one guessed that it would be Mnyazi wa Menza, an only girl among 5 children, born to poor parents in Mutsara wa Tsatsu, a village of the Giriama sometime between 1840 and 1860. The little girl had no idea as well until she became an eye-witness to the capture of one of her brothers by the Arabs in the market place.
The rage and dissatisfaction was only fueled when the British colonial masters arrived the sacred Giriama of Kenya and marched right on to threaten the values of the Giriama people; pushing it right to the verge of erosion. The culture, norms and values of her people were to be replaced with British policies and ordinances. But this was unacceptable to the young woman whom the birth of her son katilili had christened Mekatilili (Mother of Katilili). It didn’t matter who stood as the tower against her, she was ready to fight and tear out her people from the jaws of the British colonial lions.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Athletes From Around The World Strip Off For A Saucy Charity Calendar
- These Drawings Capture What Love Looks Like When Nobody’s Watching
- Provocative NSFW Fashion Photography By Nikola Tamindzic
- Provocative Photography By Artur Birkle
- “It Is Not The World Of Smiles”: Enchanted NSFW Dolls By Marina Bychkova
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Provocative And Glamour Photography By Oscar Bucaralook
- Artist Avner Geller Perfectly Illustrates Things He Has Accidentally Overheard
- Sexy Pin-Up Models Dressed In Only Milk Splashes Grace This NSFW 2018 Calendar
- UK Royal Society Publishing Photography Competition 2017 Winners
- Siberian Farm Cats Are Waiting For Spring To Come In Marvelous Photos By Alla Lebedeva
- These Unusual And Sarcastic Illustrations Will Make You Rethink The Way We Live
- UK Capturing Ecology 2017 Photo Competition
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager
- Perfectly Timed Photos That Will Mess With Your Head
- Photographer Christopher Herwig Hails The Brutal Charm Of The Soviet Bus Stop
- Stunning Photos Of A Beautiful Woman You Wouldn’t Believe That Were Taken Over 40 Years Ago
- Magical Photos Of China Taken By The US Photographer Tristan Zhou
- Photographer Analyzes Brain Waves To Construct Portraits Of People’s Ideal Selves
- Everyday Objects Obsessively Organized Into Patterns By Adam Hillman
- Famous Album Covers Brought Onto Their Original New York City Locations Where They Were Shot
- Vibrant Photos Of Chicago In 1941 Through The Lens Of Photographer John Vachon
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- These 80-Year-Old Wooden Escalators Become A Beautiful Sculpture
- The Daredevil Female Photographer Who Lowers Herself Into Active Volcanoes