African Photographers Kureng Dapel And Rich Allela Bring An African Queen Back To Life
From the bowels of Kenya, a prophesy about British oppression had gone ahead. What also followed was that the savior would be a woman.
No one guessed that it would be Mnyazi wa Menza, an only girl among 5 children, born to poor parents in Mutsara wa Tsatsu, a village of the Giriama sometime between 1840 and 1860. The little girl had no idea as well until she became an eye-witness to the capture of one of her brothers by the Arabs in the market place.
The rage and dissatisfaction was only fueled when the British colonial masters arrived the sacred Giriama of Kenya and marched right on to threaten the values of the Giriama people; pushing it right to the verge of erosion. The culture, norms and values of her people were to be replaced with British policies and ordinances. But this was unacceptable to the young woman whom the birth of her son katilili had christened Mekatilili (Mother of Katilili). It didn’t matter who stood as the tower against her, she was ready to fight and tear out her people from the jaws of the British colonial lions.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- German Photographer Carsten Thun Captures Provocative Photos Of Dancers In Unlikely Settings
- “From Russia With Love”: NSFW & Beauty Female Photography By Tatiana Mertsalova
- Sports Illustrated Hails Female Empowerment In NSFW Unedited Photo Shoot
- The Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2018 Birth Becomes Her Photography Contest
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2017 International Photographer Of The Year Contest
- The Blinged-Out Work Trucks Of Japan Photographed By Todd Antony
- A Single Book Disrupts The Foundation Of A Brick Wall By Jorge Méndez Blake
- Fascinating Photographs Capture Daily Life In Russia Just After The Collapse Of The Soviet Union
- The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
- Artist Breaks The Traditional Masculinized Image Of Famous People By Taking Them To Their Pink World
- Self-Taught Sculptor Creates Incredible Realistic Sculptures And Dreams Of Becoming The Modern Michelangelo
- Child Photo Contest 2017 – The Best Pictures Dedicated To Childhood
- Surreal Driftwood Sculptures By Debra Bernier Tell The Forgotten Stories Of The Ocean
- Beautiful Winning Photos Of The International Garden Photographer Of The Year
- Gloomy Portraits Of Dogs That Seem To Fade Into The Paper