10 Photos Of Carrie Fisher Promoting “Return Of The Jedi” At A Rolling Stone Magazine Beach Shoot, 1983
Everyone over a certain age in 1983, and many millions born later, cannot help but remember that bikini — the metal one worn by Carrie Fisher as a captive of Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi, the one unfortunately named the “Slave Leia” costume.
Now it looks like Disney and Lucasfilm may be doing their best to retire the skimpy outfit, if a report on the well-sourced rumor website Making Star Wars is to be believed.
“Slave Leia costume is being retired from the Star Wars IP for merchandise and marketing,” the site’s editor in chief Jason Ward says he has been told by several sources inside the Mouse House.
That doesn’t mean that the costume won’t continue to exist at Star Wars fan conventions, and other nerd gatherings such as Comic-Con, where it remains among the most reliably popular costumes (and is often seen worn by men as well as women).
Return of the Jedi costume designer Aggie Guerard Rodgers told me the bikini was a deliberate throwback to Dejah Thoris, the eponymous heroine of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Princess of Mars, as envisioned by artist Frank Frazetta in the 1960s; it has roots in science fiction history and Art Deco design.
But even in the world of fandom, there are changes afoot when it comes to the name of the outfit and the figurine. After all, the primary function of Fisher’s character in that part of the narrative is to kill Jabba the Hutt, so focusing on the captivity part gives short shrift to her achievements — as Fisher herself has pointed out.
That chain only"enslaved"me until I could use the frabjous thing to KILL THAT DROOLING SWOLLEN SUPERTONGUED SLUG&whirl him off into infinity
— Carrie Fisher (@carrieffisher) July 15, 2015
We’d love to hear your views on this:
More inspiring stories on DYT:
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy Views today: 300,610 - Photography
- The Russia You’ll Never See On Postcards Through The Lens Of Photographer Alexander Petrosyan Views today: 39,474 - Photography
- American Artist Creates Creepy Trump Photo Collages Views today: 8,868 - Inspirations
- Instagram’s ‘Bros Being Basic’ Shows Men Recreating Clichéd Snaps Of Women Views today: 4,773 - Inspirations
- Finnish Woman Creates Controversial Self Portraits, Calls It Art Views today: 4,219 - Inspirations
- Powerful NSFW Photos From The 2017 Birth Photo Competition Prove That Moms Are Badass Views today: 4,113 - Photography
- Artist Blends Modern Graffiti With Ancient Calligraphy To Create Stunning NSFW Pieces Using Naked Women’s Bodies As A Canvas Views today: 3,711 - Design
- “Memoirs Of The Geisha” – A Look Back At The Traditional Japanese Female Entertainers Views today: 2,544 - Photography
- Russian Dental Clinic N2 – Probably The Scariest Dental Clinic In The World Views today: 2,475 - Travel
- How To Cure ‘Mototoxicosis’ Views today: 1,850 - Photography
- The Amazing Makeup By Lucia Pittalis Views today: 1,822 - Inspirations
- This Guy Photoshops His Dog Into A Giant In All His Pics And It’s Hilarious Views today: 1,676 - Inspirations
- Stunning Vintage Photos Show The Beauty Of African-American Women From Between 1920s And 1940s Views today: 1,595 - Photography
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master Views today: 1,569 - Inspirations
- Photographer Olgaç Bozalp Captures Fashion People In Iran, And It’s Not Easy Views today: 1,390 - Photography