10 Photos Of Carrie Fisher Promoting “Return Of The Jedi” At A Rolling Stone Magazine Beach Shoot, 1983
Like DYT on FB:
Everyone over a certain age in 1983, and many millions born later, cannot help but remember that bikini — the metal one worn by Carrie Fisher as a captive of Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi, the one unfortunately named the “Slave Leia” costume.
Now it looks like Disney and Lucasfilm may be doing their best to retire the skimpy outfit, if a report on the well-sourced rumor website Making Star Wars is to be believed.
“Slave Leia costume is being retired from the Star Wars IP for merchandise and marketing,” the site’s editor in chief Jason Ward says he has been told by several sources inside the Mouse House.
That doesn’t mean that the costume won’t continue to exist at Star Wars fan conventions, and other nerd gatherings such as Comic-Con, where it remains among the most reliably popular costumes (and is often seen worn by men as well as women).
Return of the Jedi costume designer Aggie Guerard Rodgers told me the bikini was a deliberate throwback to Dejah Thoris, the eponymous heroine of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Princess of Mars, as envisioned by artist Frank Frazetta in the 1960s; it has roots in science fiction history and Art Deco design.
But even in the world of fandom, there are changes afoot when it comes to the name of the outfit and the figurine. After all, the primary function of Fisher’s character in that part of the narrative is to kill Jabba the Hutt, so focusing on the captivity part gives short shrift to her achievements — as Fisher herself has pointed out.
That chain only"enslaved"me until I could use the frabjous thing to KILL THAT DROOLING SWOLLEN SUPERTONGUED SLUG&whirl him off into infinity
— Carrie Fisher (@carrieffisher) July 15, 2015
I’d Love To Hear Your Thoughts:
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Darkly Humorous NSFW Paintings Critique Society’s Relationship With Technology Views today: 11,239 - Inspirations
- Women Bathe Themselves In Gliter And Pose For An Empowering NSFW Photo Shoot To Selebrate Bodies Of All Shapes And Sizes Views today: 3,971 - Inspirations
- 8-Year-Old “Siberian Snow White” Surprises Modeling Agencies With Unique Beauty, Gets Flooded With Offers Views today: 2,839 - Photography
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy Views today: 2,578 - Photography
- The 1949, The Kurtis Sport Car, One Of 16 Produced Views today: 2,369 - Technology
- Sony World Photography Awards 2017 Winners Views today: 2,075 - Photography
- Traveler Leaves Hilarious Graffiti Hidden For Hotel Guests In Rooms He Has Stayed In Over The Last 11 Years Views today: 1,590 - Inspirations
- Stunning Street Photos Capture Simple Joys Of Life In New York Right After WWII Views today: 1,279 - Photography
- Yoga Is All The More Appealing When Baby Goats Are Involved Views today: 1,150 - Animals
- Lithuanian Artist Creates Stunning Steampunk Sculptures From Trash Views today: 1,082 - Design
- Feather Brows Is The Newest Make-Up Trend Nobody Expected Views today: 1,075 - Design
- Huge Bikini Snow Show As Russians Mark The End Of The Skiing Season Views today: 1,021 - Travel
- Origami Aluminum Lamps Project Feathers And Antlers When Illuminated Views today: 983 - Design
- Artist Ted Chin Creates Stunning Dreamlike And Surreal Photo Manipulations Views today: 966 - Inspirations
- Everyday Is Hump Day For The Photographer Fedor Shmidt Views today: 958 - Photography
- Breathtaking Aerial Photography Of South Africa From Above By Zack Seckler Views today: 947 - Photography
- This Building Uses Emoji Cast In Concrete As Modern Gargoyles Views today: 757 - Architecture
- Ikea Had A Great Reaction To Balenciaga Making A $2,145 Version Of Its 99-Cent Blue Bag Views today: 734 - Design
- Brazen Tourists Are Baring Their Naked Bottoms At Scenic Spots Around The World Views today: 655 - Travel
- Millions Of Crabs Invade Cuba’s Bay Of Pigs Views today: 643 - Animals
- Pop Culture Icons Invade Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night’ Painting In Adorable Series Views today: 634 - Inspirations
- The Russia You’ll Never See On Postcards Through The Lens Of Photographer Alexander Petrosyan Views today: 608 - Photography
- Expressive And Whimsical Portraits Of Dogs By Kaylee Greer Views today: 559 - Animals
- Sumo Wrestlers Enjoy Cherry Blossom Season Views today: 524 - Inspirations
- Audi Hires Photographer To Shoot Their $50,000 Car, He Uses $32 Miniature Toy Car Instead Views today: 474 - Inspirations
- Hot Pamela Anderson Stars In Coco De Mer’s New Lingerie Campaign Views today: 457 - Photography
- A Photographer Documents The Secret World Of Stray Cats Of Kazakhstan Views today: 453 - Animals
- This Instagrammer Perfectly Matches Her Outfits With Art Masterpieces Views today: 448 - Design
- Yes, There Is A ‘Sexy Women Holding Carp’ NSFW Calendar And, Of Course, It’s Gotta Be From Germany Views today: 422 - Inspirations
- This Hipster Barbie Account Perfectly Mocks Every Annoying Person On Instagram Views today: 414 - Photography
- Innovative Umbrella That Keeps Your Camera Dry When Shooting In The Rain Views today: 414 - Technology
- This Is How Real Psychos Get Unleashed – Moscow’s “Rage Rooms” By The Hour Views today: 402 - Travel
- Tons Of Juice Flooded The Streets Of Russian Cities Views today: 381 - Travel
- Rare Pics Of The Infamous ’50s London Girl Gang Are Unbelievably Cool Views today: 363 - Photography
- Delicious Food Crowns Self-Portraits By Lauren Hom Views today: 343 - Inspirations