Photo of the Day: Amar Bharti, the Man that Raised His Arm 30 Years Ago and Never Lowered It
Until the early seventies, Amar Bharti was a senior shipping clerk in New Delhi. He had the comfortable trappings of the relatively well off Indian middle class. Married, with three children already grown, Amar Bharti made a decision. He handed in his notice at the office. He tied up all the loose ends of his life. He paid off the higher purchase agreements on his furniture and gave his car to his eldest son. Then he left his house. He left his wife and his children for ever. He walked away from everything he had spent his life building with nothing to his name but a bowl, two pieces of orange cloth and a metal trident.
Amar Bharti had decided to devote the rest of his life to Shiva. In time his beard grew long and his hair became matted into thick dreadlocks. Despite the harshness of his existence Amar Bharti felt that his spiritual quest was still weighed down by earthly comforts and pleasure. Three years after leaving his whole life behind, Amar Bharti made a second decision. He decided to raise his arm vertically in the air as if he was a small child begging to answer a call of nature. Once his arm was raised it was never to come down again. That was in 1973.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Satirical NSFW Illustrations Of Today’s Problems By Gunduz Agayev
- An Artist llustrates The Sad Truth Of Modern Life: Thought-Provoking, Clever And Funny Illustrations By Marco Melgrati
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Russian Woman Who Suffered From Alopecia Now Has Beautiful Long Hair
- The Superb Black And White Photography By Jason M. Peterson
- Pastry Artist Dinara Kasko’s Sculptural Cakes Are Carved From Sheets Of Chocolate
- This Elderly Couple Bought Their Household Appliances In 1950s, 50 Years Later They Still Work!
- “Redheads”: Marvelous Portrait Photography By Erika Parfenova
- Russian Clock Maker Konstantin Chaykin Creates Unbelievable Joker Timepiece With Facial Expressions
- This “Unspirational” Instagram Account Is For People Who Hate Inspirational Quotes
- Molten Glass Is Hand Blown Into These Wood Pieces To Make Contemporary Sculptures
- “The Struggle For Utopia”: Everyday Soviet Life In Magnificent Photos By Semyon Friedland
- #ICouldHaveBeen: Kering Foundation Campaigns To End Violence Against Women
- Artist Aditya Aryanto Continues To Transform Animals Into Geometric Shapes – Meet Animal Balls!
- Amazing Vintage Photos Of Black Women From Washington, D.C.’s Scurlock Studio
- Photographer Mayan Toledano Captures Daily Routines Of Female Israeli Soldiers
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Stunning Finalists Of The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2017
- Remarkable Photos Of Manhattan By Berenice Abbott From 1935
- Russian Artist Makes Beautiful Space Themed Calendar For The Year 2018
- Burning Man 2017: Stunning Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- This Is How The Practical Miniatures For Blade Runner 2049 Were Created
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- The Super Hot And Humorous 2018 New York City Taxi Drivers Calendar Is Here!