Alpine Crop Circles: The Snow Art of Simon Beck
Simon Beck has spent a lot of time at Arc2000 in the French Alps this winter, but he hasn’t been skiing. Beck spends his days doing something entirely different: making snow art. Many compare Beck’s work to “crop circles,” but this is not the labor of “aliens” who’ve chosen a wintrier medium. This “snow art” is the work of a lone artist who spends hours trudging around the French ski resort to fashion his designs.
Beck’s intricate creations come in a range of forms from spirals to cubes, snowflakes, and abstract figures. These snowy “crop circles” are created by the simple act of walking in the snow wearing raquettes.
“They aren’t hard to do,” Beck boasts on his snow art page. “Good exercise, yes, but not particularly difficult. I’ve placed it in the walking category as they are made by walking about in snowshoes.”
The Oxford-educated self-employed map maker typically walks for about five hours or until he gets too tired, using a headlamp if it gets dark first. The shapes are created by a kind of reverse orienteering. The main lines and points are surveyed using a sighting compass with distances measured either by pace counting or string.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
More Inspiring Stories On Design You Trust:
- Living La Dolce Vita: Vintage Photos Show How Idyllic Italy Was In The 1980s
- Head Back To The 80s With Chris Mcveigh’s LEGO Retro Desk Kits
- The Very Badass Digital Art By Liana Anatolevich
- The Electric State: Simon Stålenhag Comes A New Narrative Artbook About A Girl And Her Robot Traveling West In An Alternate 90s USA
- Spanish Designer Fernando Abellanas Works In A Secret Studio Right Under The Bridge
- When Photos Looked Like Paintings: Dreamy Landscape Photographs Taken By Leonard Misonne
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Can You Spot Yourself In These Designer Stereotypes?
- Kids Will Be Kids! James Nathaniel Likes To Turn People Into Children By Making Their Heads Bigger.
- Stunning Digital Art By Nik Buzhan
- Craziest Swimsuits To Hit The Beach This Summer
- “Secret Window, Secret Garden”: Dreamlike Photography By Shaina Sterrett
- Artist Wil Hughes Shows How Pop Culture Icons Would Look In Real Life, And It Will Give You Nightmares
- Black and White Photos Of Teenage Gangs Of New York City In 1959
- Polish Photographer Creates Amazing Slavic Pagan Themed Photoshoot And Proves Slavs Have Amazing Culture
- This “Unspirational” Instagram Account Is For People Who Hate Inspirational Quotes
- “Hipsters In Stone”: Artist Léo Caillard Continues To Dress The Statues As Hipsters
- Photographer Creates Spellbinding Photos Of Meals From Classic Books
- Japanese Company Releases Line Of ‘Crotch Charms’ For Women To Dangle From Their Swimsuits Between Their Legs
- Scary Potter – Terrifying Alternative Posters For The Harry Potter Movies
- Art In The Shadows: Artist Damon Belanger Enlivens City With Serendipitous Paintwork
- Illustrator Yaoyao Ma Van As Perfectly Captures The Happiness Of Living Alone
- Artist Jacqueline Mak Takes On Consumerism, Body Politics, Humor, And Eroticism In Raunchy NSWF Collages
- Human Characters Interact With Extra-Terrestrial Creatures And Dinosaurs – New Gucci Campaign Inspired By Vintage Sci-Fi
- Environment Activists Try To Break World Record With This Colossal 3D Body Painting Picture