Photographer Takes Portraits of Black Shelter Cats Who Are Often the Last to Be Adopted
Los Angeles-based photographer Casey Elise adopted a kitten in December 2014 and, soon after, began volunteering at an animal shelter. This inspired her to combine her love of animals with her passion for photography. She started by snapping adorable portraits of cats at the shelter, which lead her to create the Black Cat Project, a photography series aimed at shining a positive light on dark-colored felines.
According to Elise, black cats have the lowest adoption rates and the highest euthanasia rates—one reason could be that superstitions perpetuated through movies and books have stigmatized them as being “bad luck” or “wicked.”
The ‘Black Cat Project’ showcases the kittens and adult cats without special effects or costumes. Instead, Elise photographed the tiny critters against a simple, gray background, allowing their adorable personalities to be on full display.
They act like any other cat—playful, inquisitive, and sometimes amusingly erratic—it’s hard not to fall in love with the fluffy felines. Elise reveals them to be anything but menacing, and instead they act as a reminder to look beyond a pet’s appearance: a furry friend can come from anywhere and in any color.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- The Psyduck Pokemon Sexy Cosplay By Beautiful Helena Steele
- 2020 Miss Mexico Contestants Compete In Traditional Outfits And They Are Amazing
- Spectacular Winning Photos from The Weather Photographer of the Year 2020 Awards
- Photographer Weronika Gęsicka Takes Corny American Photography And Manipulates It Into Something Surreal And Uncomfortable
- Christine Rai’s Comics Prove You Actually Can Make Art From Bad Tan Lines & Microaggressions
- This Instagram Account Is Posting The Most Ridiculous Coronavirus Masks Spotted On The Subway
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Here’s What Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Caligula And Others Would Look Like Today
- “Porn Fashions”: Obscenely Tasteless Apparel From 1980s Adult Magazines
- From The Depths Of Your Nightmares – The Fantastically Disturbing Creepy Art Of Trevor Henderson