Thousands of South African youths form a giant lion head on a beach in Durban, to call for urgent action on climate change, on the sidelines of the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change. The event was in partnership with international artist John Quigley and supported by the “tck tck tck Global Campaign for Climate Action.” (AFP/ Greenpeace / Shayne Robinson)
The villages of Charavgi and Kleitos, located in the valley of Ptolemais in Greece, have been gradually abandoned since the Greek Public Power Corporation (PPC) opened two power plants in the region.
Situated near the town of Kozani, some 500 kilometers north of capital city Athens, the PPC’s power plants – Kardia and Agios Dimitrios – are allegedly the European Union’s top two Carbon-di-Oxide-emitting power plants and have been dubbed the worst climate polluting power stations, according to a May 2007 WWF survey called “Dirty Thirty”.
As per the report, the Agios Dimitrios power plant emits about 12 million tonnes of CO2 per year, while the Kardia power station emits about 9 million tonnes of CO2 annually. The two power plants are Greece’s biggest, producing about 70 per cent of the country’s electricity but they have affected human settlements in their locality.
The PPC reportedly “bought” the once flourishing nearby villages of Charavgi and Kleitos and relocated residents elsewhere. Now almost a deserted area, the only person who lives in Kleitos is an Indian immigrant – Jangdip Pal, 45, who works as a night guard at the lignite mine, Reuters reports. In Charavgi, only one shepherd lives, along with his family.
The power plant of Kardia is seen through a destroyed house in the village of Charavgi in the valley of Ptolemais near the town of Kozani some 500 km north of Athens on September 29, 2011. (REUTERS/Yannis Behrakis) Continue reading »
- Parked Cars Under Streetlamps In 1970s New York City
- This Retired Cabinet Maker Goes Viral For Making Broken And Weird Furniture That Belongs In Disney Movies
- The Superb Bizarre AR Artworks By Nikita Replyanski, A Technological Artist And Cyber Fashion Designer
- Amazing Vintage Photos Of Portuguese Women From The Azores Islands In Their Tradition Hooded Capes
- Vintage Photos Of People Wearing Masks During The 1918 Influenza Pandemic, One Of The Deadliest Natural Disasters In Human History
- The Everyday Struggles Of All Plus-Size Women Depicted By The Artist Gabriele Pennacchioli
- Amazing Vintage Photos That Show How Life Before AutoCAD Looked Like
- The Lost Corvettes: 36 Chevrolet Corvettes From NYC Barn Find To Be Raffled In Charity Sweepstakes
- Biochemist Elzbieta Kurowska Creates Stunning Liquid Biomorphic Structures
- Inside A 1947 Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, The Largest And Fastest Aircraft In Commercial Service