David Glasheen: A Real Life Robinson Crusoe
Like DYT on FB:
David Glasheen, dubbed Australia’s Robinson Crusoe, has lived on tiny Restoration Island, off the north-eastern tip of Australia since 1993, accompanied only by his dog Quasi. A former business man, he abandoned a high-flying life in Sydney after losing $AUS10 million £6.5 million in the 1987 stock market crash and his marriage ended. Mr Glasheen, who is now in his late 60s, said he revels in the tranquillity and privacy and has called himself as “the luckiest bloke in the world”. He lives off fish and crab and collects bananas, coconuts and native fruit, as well as growing his own vegetables and brewing beer.
In photographs by Brian Cassey.
David Glasheen faces eviction from his remote tropical paradise after losing a Supreme Court legal case.
Survival skills: The picturesque island has taught Glasheen bush survival skills because ‘if you don’t (learn them) you die pretty quickly’ he said.
David Glasheen, who has lived alone on the island off Cape York Peninsula since 1993, made international headlines four years ago, when he went online looking for a “Girl Friday” to live with him.
David Glasheen says sometimes he gets lonely with his dog his only companion but he is occasionally visited by passing yachtsmen, kayakers and organic farmers.
David Glasheen, a former Sydney businessman who lost his millions in the 1987 stock market crash, had been sub-leased 1.53ha of the island by leaseholder Restoration Island Pty Ltd..
Lonely in love: Using his solar-powered internet connection Glasheen tried internet dating to find his ‘Girl Friday’ to live with him, using a mannequin to publicise his plight but had no luck.
The government has ruled that Glasheen must vacate Restoration Island, a 1.52ha oasis, having failed to build tourist accommodation and fishing facilities, a condition of his lease.
Australian oasis: Restoration Island is 1,500 miles from Queensland capital Brisbane and was named because Captain William Bligh found essential supplies were there that had been set adrift by mutineers on HMS Bounty.
I’d Love To Hear Your Thoughts:
More Inspiring Stories On DYT:
- Darkly Humorous NSFW Paintings Critique Society’s Relationship With Technology
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Huge Bikini Snow Show As Russians Mark The End Of The Skiing Season
- Sony World Photography Awards 2017 Winners
- Super Dad Turns Cars Meant For Kids Into Something Straight Out Of Mad Max
- Yes, There Is A ‘Sexy Women Holding Carp’ NSFW Calendar And, Of Course, It’s Gotta Be From Germany
- The 1949, The Kurtis Sport Car, One Of 16 Produced
- This Building Uses Emoji Cast In Concrete As Modern Gargoyles
- Women Bathe Themselves In Gliter And Pose For An Empowering NSFW Photo Shoot To Selebrate Bodies Of All Shapes And Sizes
- The Russia You’ll Never See On Postcards Through The Lens Of Photographer Alexander Petrosyan
- 8-Year-Old “Siberian Snow White” Surprises Modeling Agencies With Unique Beauty, Gets Flooded With Offers
- Ikea Had A Great Reaction To Balenciaga Making A $2,145 Version Of Its 99-Cent Blue Bag
- Yoga Is All The More Appealing When Baby Goats Are Involved
- Millions Of Crabs Invade Cuba’s Bay Of Pigs
- Everyday Is Hump Day For The Photographer Fedor Shmidt
- Breathtaking Aerial Photography Of South Africa From Above By Zack Seckler
- This Hipster Barbie Account Perfectly Mocks Every Annoying Person On Instagram
- Stunning Street Photos Capture Simple Joys Of Life In New York Right After WWII
- This Instagrammer Perfectly Matches Her Outfits With Art Masterpieces
- Brazen Tourists Are Baring Their Naked Bottoms At Scenic Spots Around The World
- Two Culinary Students Made Gigantic, Chocolate Covered Rock Candy Geodes
- Lithuanian Artist Creates Stunning Steampunk Sculptures From Trash
- Innovative Umbrella That Keeps Your Camera Dry When Shooting In The Rain
- Traveler Leaves Hilarious Graffiti Hidden For Hotel Guests In Rooms He Has Stayed In Over The Last 11 Years
- Tons Of Juice Flooded The Streets Of Russian Cities
- Origami Aluminum Lamps Project Feathers And Antlers When Illuminated
- The World’s First Line Of Dolls With Disabilities Is Now On The Market
- Hot Pamela Anderson Stars In Coco De Mer’s New Lingerie Campaign
- This Is How Real Psychos Get Unleashed – Moscow’s “Rage Rooms” By The Hour
- Nordstrom Is Selling Jeans Caked In Fake Dirt For Hundreds Of Dollars
- Artist Ted Chin Creates Stunning Dreamlike And Surreal Photo Manipulations
- Sex Machines: Photographs and Interviews By Timothy Archibald
- Feather Brows Is The Newest Make-Up Trend Nobody Expected
- Artist Carson Davis Brown Creates In-Store Installations Without Permission
- A Photographer Documents The Secret World Of Stray Cats Of Kazakhstan
- Delicious Food Crowns Self-Portraits By Lauren Hom
- Breathtaking Stained-Glass Cabin Looks Ripped From A Fairytale
- Expressive And Whimsical Portraits Of Dogs By Kaylee Greer
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager
- This Chinese Farmer Built A Two-Storey Space Shuttle Replica On The Roof Of His House