Floriade 2012: World Horticulture Festival
It’s the return of the once-in-a-decade Netherlands flower fest, the Floriade 2012 World Horticulture Expo. With 1.8m bulbs planted across 44 hectares, and more than two million visitors expected over a six-month run, this is one of the gardening world’s stratospheric events. Here’s the view from the opening week. Photograph: Ermindo Armino/AP, Paul Raats/EPA, Robin Utrecht/AFP/Getty Images.
A field of flowers at Floriade in Venlo, the Netherlands, where the sixth edition of the festival has opened.
A close-up of orchids. The event falls once every decade, with more than two million visitors expected over a six-month period.
In all, 1.8m bulbs have been planted across the exposition’s 44-hectare (108-acre) grounds, complementing 190,000 perennial flowering plants, 18,000 shrubs, 15,000 hedge plants and 3,000 trees.
Close-up of a tulip patch.
The Dutch agriculture pavilion. More than 100 participants, often countries or regions, have set up displays showing off some of their best-known foliage and the latest national trends in plant care and display.
The Indonesian contribution, featuring architecture from Bali, Java and Sumatra.
A close-up showing some of the striking colours on display.
The Spanish pavilion, constructed predominantly from waste materials, showcases horticulture from 10 different regions of the country using a multisensory display and even local dishes.
A close-up from the Indonesian section.
A Buddha statue in the Indonesian area.
A blossoming tree.
Floriade’s ‘innovation tower’, with passing gondolas.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- An Animal Shelter Dressed Dogs in Human Clothes to Help Them Find Homes
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Person Uses Artificial Intelligence To Make Anime And Cartoon Characters Look More Realistic
- Grotesque, Occult, and Bizarre Images by William Mortensen, the Forgotten Hollywood Photographer
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Makeup Artist Keeps Transforming Herself Into Characters And Celebrities
- Seriously, 2022 Social Justice Kittens Calendar Is Here!
- This South Korean Artist’s Structural Drawings Will Help You Improve Your Drawing Skills
- Sexy Pictures Of ABBA’s Agnetha Faltskog Posed For Sweden’s Poster Magazine In 1976
- This Artist Makes Alternative Posters For Horror Films And TV Series In The Form Of Clay Sculptures