It would be wrong to say that only bad things came out of the Cold War because that would discount all of the amazing advancements that happened during that time. Some of those we see implemented into our everyday lives today, yet some, like this turbojet train, have been left out to gather rust. Continue reading »
Rapid development of youth subculture 1970s and 1980s generated lots of different trends which still exist in one form or another. The Soviet Union was not the exception; goths, punks, rockers and metalheads of the late USSR are remembered by their radical self-expression and the extravagant style.
Here, we have found some cool old photos of this saucy youth from the USSR in the period of 1980s. Continue reading »
Remains of Soviet civilization in one of the industrial suburbs of a city have been found by a Russian internet dwellers. Just like in the movies such as Alien, Prometheus or Planet of Apes, when you come at this area you will quickly notice these are the remains of a far more advanced cosmo-travelling civilization. The time when humans progressed beyond our-wordly problems and started their space-traveling journey, but just as in above mentioned movies, their civilization crumbled and here we are today enjoying these photos thanks to Andrey Andreev. Continue reading »
Couple days ago near Tallinn, Estonia, Soviet train has been destroyed. A survived old Russian loco called “DR1A-2283″ (just like droids in Star Wars) found its last grave in Estonia and we have photos how it was. It was pretty nice design, might be used in a museum, but they scrapped it for the metal. Continue reading »
In 1988, Minsk Automobile Plant designers created a prototype of a truck called MAZ 2000 Perestroika. It was revealed to the public at the foreign Paris International Motor Show and received the highest ratings from foreign experts.
These innovative projects were designed to breathe new life into the Soviet automobile industry, but due to the collapse of the USSR, they never went into serial production. Today’s concept cars can provide us with a glimpse into the future and give us a sense of the direction being taken by manufacturers as they use the newest technology of tomorrow.
However, sometimes it’s equally fascinating to look into the past. These quirky Russian car designs from way back provide an insight into the innovative and daring concepts of engineers from the USSR, which paved the way for modern cars. Continue reading »
“The Death Of Colossus”: Striking Candid Photographs That Capture Everyday Life In The USSR In 1984-1989
The ’80s weren’t a great time for those living in the USSR, although those living in Moscow had it better than most. Here’s a look at everyday life of the Soviets in the late 1980s. These amazing photographs were taken by Chris Niedenthal in 1984 through 1989. Continue reading »
There were times when the VAZ-2101 ‘Zhiguli’ was advertised as an exclusive car, and even photographed with giraffes while the GAZ ‘Volga’ was the dream of every citizen, and sausage was considered a delicacy. Continue reading »
- 5 Year-Old Recreates Photos Of Iconic Women Every Day Of Black History Month
- Asian Drivers Are Using Terrifying Reflective Decals On Rear Windows To Fight Against High-Beam Users
- A Photographer Travels Across India To Show How Beautiful And Diverse Local People Are, And We’re Mesmerized
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- A Look Back At The First Tucker Torpedo Prototype From 1946
- “The Morning Never Came”: Amazing Fantasy Illustrations By Adrian Smith
- Stunning Vintage Photos Show The Beauty Of African-American Women From Between 1920s And 1940s
- Welcome To Burj Al Babas, The Luxury City Of Empty Castles
- Photographer Gilmar Silva Exposes The Not So Glamorous Side Of Photography In Revealing Photos
- Candid Snapshots Capture Everyday Life Of Vancouver Youth In The 1970s