Advertising In Arabic Way
The Muslim world has unusual prohibitions in advertising. This is due to the national and religious peculiarities of Islamic countries. Any advertising, including logos, should be forcibly adapted to local cultural values and the Arabic language. In order to do this you must know what various animals symbolize, what symbols indicate and how those or other subjects can be interpreted in Islamic countries.
For example, dogs are considered to be “dirty animals”, so you can rarely see them in advertising. Fish symbolizes Christianity, a crow – death, and a chameleon – hypocrisy.
Any manifestations of supernatural forces (witches, wizards, vampires, aliens) can be interpreted as equating to God, and therefore their demonstration is prohibited. In addition, the words “create” and “greatest” should be used really cautiously as they are also associated with God.
Drugs, alcohol (even an empty glass of champagne) can not be used in advertising. The only exception – social advertising. Homosexuality and any hints at a non-traditional sexual orientation are also under the strict prohibition.
Any forms of crosses are considered as violations. Therefore the organization “Red Cross” is called “Red Crescent” here.
In the most conservative Asian countries it is prohibited to show open eyes in the advertisement. Thus advertising agencies have to be very imaginative when showing people. The most popular solutions of the problem are:
– Wear glasses
– Close eyes with pleasure
Nudity is prohibited in any form. Islamic culture is very conservative. Skin can be shown only on face, hands and feet.
In order to protect their citizens from the depraved West, censors had to make extreme efforts. That’s when Photoshop and other available means like a black marker, paper and glue come into the play.
Gisele Bundchen acquired a modest white shirt.
Particular attention is paid to advertising of films. It has to be retouched in order to comply with strict cultural expectations. Legs, chest and even shoulders must be covered. Compare before and after.
Parody to muslim advertisements:
To write the name of a product in the Arabic script keeping at least some hint at the world-famous style of the brand is very difficult.
These pictures were taken in some malls of the UAE. By law of most Arabic countries an Arabic name must go first. But in this case both, the East and the West are content. As the West reads from left to right and the East reads from right to left. So everybody reads the “right” sign first.
The Body Shop
The Coffee Bean
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Someone Found An Old Photo Album Full Of Pics Of This Woman And Hollywood Celebrities In A Thrift Shop
- Amazing Vintage Photos Of Portuguese Women From The Azores Islands In Their Tradition Hooded Capes
- Japanese Artist Turns Awkward Animal Photos Into Beautiful Sculptures
- Stunning Photos From The Bosch Parade, The Sailing Parade In The Spirit Of Jheronimus Bosch
- Bublik – Circular Apartment Building In Moscow Is The Pinnacle Of Brutalism
- Artist Transforms Present Technologies Into Objects From The 1980s
- The Lost Corvettes: 36 Chevrolet Corvettes From NYC Barn Find To Be Raffled In Charity Sweepstakes
- Inside A 1947 Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, The Largest And Fastest Aircraft In Commercial Service
- Vibrant Fashion And Glamour Photography By Denis Bliznuk
- Couple Spends $25,000 To Convert Old Truck Into Mobile Home And It Looks Better Than Most Apartments