British & American English: Differences
According to Wikipedia, The English language was first introduced to the Americas by British colonization, beginning in 1607 in Jamestown, Virginia. Similarly, the language spread to numerous other parts of the world as a result of British trade and colonization elsewhere and the spread of the former British Empire, which, by 1921, held sway over a population of 470–570 million people, approximately a quarter of the world’s population at that time.
Written forms of British and American English as found in newspapers and textbooks vary little in their essential features, with only occasional noticeable differences in comparable media (comparing American newspapers with British newspapers, for example). This kind of formal English, particularly written English, is often called “standard English”.
The spoken forms of British English vary considerably, reflecting a long history of dialect development amid isolated populations. In the United Kingdom, dialects, word use and accents vary not only between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but also within them.
An unofficial standard for spoken American English has also developed, as a result of mass media and geographic and social mobility, and broadly describes the English typically heard from network newscasters, commonly referred to as non-regional diction, although local newscasters tend toward more parochial forms of speech.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- Gorgeous NSFW Female Portrait Photography by Álvaro Rodríguez Navarro
- Gorgeous Photos Make Star Wars Toys Look Like Real, Life-Sized Ships
- Summer Vibes With Tattoo Model Torrie Blake
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Cool Retro Pics Of The Sexiest Postures That Women Can Seduce Their Men
- The Superb Sensual And NSFW Paintings By Jamie Adams
- Artist Scott Listfield Paints Post-Apocalyptic Scenes Of The Bay Area
- If Movie Posters Told The Truth…
- Conceptual And Fine Art Female Portrait Photography By Maxwell Swift
- Soviet Fashion: Style Pages From 1980s U.S.S.R.
- Inside The Chinese Sex Doll Factory
- Haunting Photos Of Moscow’s Young Ravers And Their Lives After Dark
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Designer Challenges Himself To Create Logos With Hidden Meanings For A Year
- “The Last Days Of Martinique”: Rare Portraits Of Martinique Residents Before The Deadly Volcano Eruption In 1902