British & American English: Differences
According to Wikipedia, The English language was first introduced to the Americas by British colonization, beginning in 1607 in Jamestown, Virginia. Similarly, the language spread to numerous other parts of the world as a result of British trade and colonization elsewhere and the spread of the former British Empire, which, by 1921, held sway over a population of 470–570 million people, approximately a quarter of the world’s population at that time.
Written forms of British and American English as found in newspapers and textbooks vary little in their essential features, with only occasional noticeable differences in comparable media (comparing American newspapers with British newspapers, for example). This kind of formal English, particularly written English, is often called “standard English”.
The spoken forms of British English vary considerably, reflecting a long history of dialect development amid isolated populations. In the United Kingdom, dialects, word use and accents vary not only between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but also within them.
An unofficial standard for spoken American English has also developed, as a result of mass media and geographic and social mobility, and broadly describes the English typically heard from network newscasters, commonly referred to as non-regional diction, although local newscasters tend toward more parochial forms of speech.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Athletes From Around The World Strip Off For A Saucy Charity Calendar
- These Drawings Capture What Love Looks Like When Nobody’s Watching
- Provocative Photography By Artur Birkle
- Provocative NSFW Fashion Photography By Nikola Tamindzic
- Provocative And Glamour Photography By Oscar Bucaralook
- “It Is Not The World Of Smiles”: Enchanted NSFW Dolls By Marina Bychkova
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Sexy Pin-Up Models Dressed In Only Milk Splashes Grace This NSFW 2018 Calendar
- UK Royal Society Publishing Photography Competition 2017 Winners
- UK Capturing Ecology 2017 Photo Competition
- These Unusual And Sarcastic Illustrations Will Make You Rethink The Way We Live
- Perfectly Timed Photos That Will Mess With Your Head
- Hong Kong In The 1950s Captured By A Teenager
- Siberian Farm Cats Are Waiting For Spring To Come In Marvelous Photos By Alla Lebedeva
- Everyday Objects Obsessively Organized Into Patterns By Adam Hillman
- Stunning Photos Of A Beautiful Woman You Wouldn’t Believe That Were Taken Over 40 Years Ago
- Hilarious Illustrations By Nacho Díaz Arjona
- The Electric State: Simon Stålenhag Comes A New Narrative Artbook About A Girl And Her Robot Traveling West In An Alternate 90s USA
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- These 80-Year-Old Wooden Escalators Become A Beautiful Sculpture
- The Daredevil Female Photographer Who Lowers Herself Into Active Volcanoes
- Fantastic Illustrations By Waldemar von Kozak
- Street Art “Surgeon” Cuts Open Cartoon And Media Characters To Reveal Their Anatomy
- Artist Shows The Sorrow Of Thrown Away Objects He Finds In The Streets By Drawing Sad Clown Faces On Them
- Artist Avner Geller Perfectly Illustrates Things He Has Accidentally Overheard