Haunting Photos Of A Deserted Island In Japan
These stunning photos reveal the forgotten and decaying beauty of a once-thriving island town in Japan. The town is called Gunkjima and sits about 15 kilometers south of Nagaski. The spot is well known as a forbidden treasure trove of dilapidated urban development.
Though the island’s security is notoriously tight, apparently it isn’t tight enough to keep Aussie photographer Shane Thoms off the island. And we’re glad he found a way in because his photos of the ghost town are utterly mesmerizing.
The town of Gunkanjima sprung up years ago as a housing development for people who worked in the coal mine there. But when the mine was shut down in 1974, the town was abandoned and the buildings left vacant and forgotten. Decades passed and the town began to rot and decay, slowly taking on the post-apocalyptic appearance it now posseses.
If you’re interested in seeing more of Shane Thoms adventures, follow him here on Instagram. He seems to be the king of exploring abandoned sites in Japan.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Beautiful Photos of the Lincoln Continental Mark V
- Fabulous Portrait Photos of Celebrities Taken by Patrick Lichfield
- The Wining Images of The Female in Focus Photography Awards 2021
- The Fantastic, Beautiful and Colorful Mosaic Portraits by Charis Tsevis
- Poetic, Emotional and Minimalist Photographs by Kersti K
- These Prank Stickers Will Make You The Most Hated Person In The Office
- Painfully True Facts About Our Lives
- Brazilian Artist Draws Realistic Portraits that Look Like Photographs
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- These Realistic Animal Paintings Show How We Neglect Them