Photographer Olgaç Bozalp Captures Fashion People In Iran, And It’s Not Easy
Antidote magazine approached turkish photographer Olgaç Bozalp with the opportunity to shoot an entire issue of the magazine around the theme “borders”, which the photographer saw as “the perfect opportunity to go to Iran. Travelling with his best friend and stylist Ruth Higginbotham, Olgaç Bozalp set his sights on the country’s capital Tehran and the city of Kashan in the Isfahan province, undeterred by one glaring problem: “un-Islamic” modelling has been forbidden in Iran since the Islamic Revolution.
“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t hesitate approaching people when I first arrived in Iran, but a couple of days later I found that Iranian people were very friendly and open to being photographed in a fashion story,” Olgaç says to It’s Nice That. “We mostly photographed people in their houses as we were told that it might be too risky to photograph people on the street. We tried to combine fashion with people’s own clothes to make sure we were keeping the people the way they are, because the country has a [complex] history with the west and we wanted to make sure we were not portraying the wrong image.”
“When we were there, Trump made the decision to ban Iranian citizens from entering the US. We felt deeply sad after meeting the people of a wonderful nation.”
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Wonderland Abandoned: The Swift Fall of “Europe’s Biggest Theme Park”
- This Brilliant Dad Shoots Classic Pictures Of His Daughter Inspired From Old Oil-Paintings
- Spectacular Winning Photos of The Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2021
- Finally, The 2022 Fat Cat Art Calendar Is Here!
- These Illustrations Show What’s Wrong With The Modern Society
- Portraits of Swiss “Halbstarken” Girls With Very Big Hair in the 1950s and 1960s
- Finally, “Squid Game” Costumes For Your Pets
- Painfully True Facts About Our Lives
- The Story Behind John Lennon’s Psychedelic Rolls-Royce Phantom V
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s