Song Dong’s Waste Not at the Barbican
Waste Not, an installation that gathers over 10,000 everyday objects collected by Song Dong’s mother over a period of five decades, reflects on the Chinese artist’s childhood during the Cultural Revolution. Waste Not is at the Barbican Art Gallery, London EC2, from 15 February to 12 June. Photograph: Oli Scarff/Getty Images.
Song Dong’s Waste Not installation in the Curve at the Barbican Art Gallery, London.
The installation includes chairs, tools and plant pots
…and several portable televisions.
The installation is a meditation on the artist’s childhood during the Cultural Revolution.
The art of saving and re-using things is in line with the Chinese principle of wu jin qi yong – ‘waste not’.
It is a prerequisite for survival during periods of social and political turmoil.
Song Dong’s mother Zhao Xiangyuan collected the objects over a period of five decades.
She died in an accident in 2009.
Each time Song Dong remakes the exhibition, with the help of his sister Song Hui and his wife Yin Xiuzhen, the entire family is brought together again.
Memories are rekindled and personal family objects are rediscovered, bringing powerful emotions to the fore.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Bublik – Circular Apartment Building In Moscow Is The Pinnacle Of Brutalism
- Photographer Captures The Mystical Beauty of Czech Forests
- 25 Redesigns Of Famous Logos And Some Of Them Are Better Than The Original
- Grotesque, Occult, and Bizarre Images by William Mortensen, the Forgotten Hollywood Photographer
- Fascinating Winning Photos Of the 2021 Siena International Photo Awards
- “Captivate!”: Fashionable 90s in Amazing Nostalgic Photos
- Brazilian Artist Draws Realistic Portraits that Look Like Photographs
- “Tears in the Rain”: The Superb Digital Sci-Fi Concept Artworks by Daniel Liang
- This Illustrator Draws Everyday Situations That Are So Familiar It’s Like Looking in the Mirror
- This Artist Started Micro Crocheting As An Experiment, And Now She Creates Tiny Animals And Plants Using Needle And Thread