Handbags and Sliced Bread: Hans-Peter Feldmann at the Serpentine gallery
This is the playful German artist’s first major solo show in London. He has shunned the art-world limelight for much of his career, preferring to collect cultural artefacts rather than exhibit them.
Many of Feldmann’s works adorn traditional oil paintings with red noses, or rework 19th-century subjects by subtly giving them cross-eyed squints.
Feldmann’s series of photographs of bread slices reveal his penchant for documenting quotidian objects – other examples include empty baths and his own bookshelves.
For another project, Feldmann wandered the streets of Madrid and asked many of the tourist caricaturists to make a likeness of him. According to Adrian Searle, the results reveal his prominent conk and ‘funny uncle’ look.
Another wall of the Serpentine gallery show is filled with run-of-the-mill seascapes.
Feldmann’s golden shoes are filled from toe to heel with drawing pins. Many of his works repackage and rethink female paraphernalia.
For a series of works based around handbags, Feldmann asked a selection of women to hand over the entire contents of theirs. He offered each participant €500 for the honour of taking part.
The women are identified only by first name, city and age. This handbag belongs to Oriane from Berlin, aged 27.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- “Art of The Doodler”: Fyodor Dostoevsky Draws In His Manuscripts
- Designer Problems Turned Into Funny Comics
- Photos of Mark Frechette and Daria Halprin During the Filming of ‘Zabriskie Point’, 1970
- Winning Photos Of TDM Street Photography Awards 2021
- French Artist Adds Celebrities Into Classical Paintings
- The Future Imagined in Albert Robida’s “La vie électrique,” 1890
- Japanese Artist Creates Incredible Realistic Intimate Garments from Ceramics
- Weird And Wonderful Illustrated Letters From A 16th Century Songbook
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers