Hitler’s Hidden Paintings Found in Small Czech Town
A Czech writer and publisher made headlines after discovering seven paintings owned by one of the bloodiest tyrants in history. Jiri Kuchar, who wrote two books on the collection, said the paintings were discovered in Doksany, a small town about 30 miles north of Prague, in a convent. They were believed to be lost for decades and are priced at $2.7 million or 50 million koruna. The convent, however, does not plan to sell the paintings.
“They’re part of Hitler’s collection of about 45 paintings, about 30 statues, a writing table and some gifts, which was declared former Czechoslovakia’s war booty,” said Kuchar, according to the AFP.
The collection includes a huge canvas artwork titled “Memories of Stalingrad.” The painting depicts wounded German soldiers seeking shelter in a trench during the famous World War II battle. The painting was reported to be one of Hitler’s favorites, said RTE, even though the German army lost the battle.
Hitler had reportedly ordered the paintings to be hidden in the monastery as the Allied forces closed in on Berlin. However, they were found by American forces. The paintings disappeared. It remains unclear where they went or how they ended up in the convent, reported the Telegraph.
The discovery is not the end of the mystery of Hitler’s hidden art gallery. Kuchar said that there were a total of 16 paintings lost after the war. He is still on the hunt for the remaining nine paintings, but said it will be difficult to find them because some institutions might feel compelled to bury the past.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Beautiful Photos of Jane Birkin at Home Taken by Jean-Claude Deutsch in 1971
- French Artist Creates Illustrations That Challenge Society’s Standards For Women
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Photographer Amanda Jones Shows A Dog’s Love Is Timeless
- Photographer Captures Couples Who Switch Outfits, and the Results Are Hilarious
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- “Moments Around the World”: Amazing Cinematic Travel and Street Photography by Billy Dinh
- This Elderly German Couple Steals The Show Every Time They Go Out
- Accidentally Brilliant Shots By Edas Won
- How Male Beauty Standards Have Changed Over 100 Years